If you please, sir, I want leave of absence for a week or two.
对不起,先生,我想请一、两周假。
What to do? Where to go?
干嘛?上哪儿去呀?
To see a sick lady who has sent for me.
去看一位生了病的太太,是她派人来叫我的。
what sick lady? Where does she live?
哪位生病的太太?她住在哪儿?
At Gateshead.
在盖茨黑德府。
That is a hundred miles off! Who may she be that sends for people to see her that distance?
离这儿有一百英里呢!这么远叫人回去看她,这人可是谁呀?
Her name is Reed, sir -- Mrs. Reed.
她叫里德,先生--里德太太。
Reed of Gateshead? There was a Reed of Gateshead, a magistrate.
盖茨黑德的里德吗?盖茨黑德府是有一个叫里德的,是个地方法官。
It is his widow, sir.
我说的是他的寡妇,先生。
And what have you to do with her? How do you know her?
那你与她有什么关系?怎么认得她的呢?
Mr. Reed was my uncle -- my mother's brother.
里德先生是我的舅舅 -- 我母亲的哥哥。
The deuce he was! You never told me that before. You always said you had no relations.
哎呀,他是你舅舅!你从来没有跟我说起过他,你总是说你没有亲戚。
None that would own me, sir. Mr. Reed is dead, and his wife cast me off. Why?
没有一个亲戚肯承认我,先生。里德先生去世了,他的夫人抛弃了我。为什么?
Because I was poor, and burdensome, and she disliked me.
因为我穷,是个包袱,她不喜欢我。
But Reed left children? You must have cousins?
可是里德他留下了孩子?你一定有表兄妹的了?
Sir George Lynn was talking of a Reed of Gateshead yesterday, who, he said, was one of the veriest rascals on town.
昨天乔治·林恩爵士说起盖茨黑德府一个叫里德的人--他说这人是城里一个十足的无赖。
And Ingram was mentioning a Georgiana Reed of the same place,
而英格拉姆提到了同一个地方叫乔治亚娜。里德的,
who was much admired for her beauty a season or two ago in London.
一两个社交季节之前,因为美貌,在伦敦大受倾慕。
John Reed is dead, too, sir. He ruined himself and half-ruined his family, and is supposed to have committed suicide.
约翰·里德也死了,先生。他毁了自己,也差不多毁了他的家,据说他是自杀的。
The news so shocked his mother that it brought on an apoplectic attack.
噩耗传来,他母亲大为震惊,一下子中风了。