Squeaks and I just got back from playing in the big pile of leaves near the Fort!
吱吱和我刚从堡垒附近的一堆树叶堆里回来!
But something kind of strange happened
但是奇怪的事情发生了
When we came inside for lunch, I accidentally hit my elbow against the table in the Fort's kitchen, and it actually really hurt
当我们进来吃午饭的时候,我不小心把胳膊肘撞到了堡垒厨房的桌子上,真的很疼
Even weirder, I felt pain all the way down my arm to my fingers, even though only my elbow hit the table
更奇怪的是,我的胳膊一直疼到我的手指,尽管只有我的肘部撞到了桌子上
Don't worry, Squeaks
吱吱,别担心
I’m totally okay now!
我现在完全好了
Still, I didn’t hit my elbow against the table that hard against the table
不过,我的肘部在桌子上碰得并没有那么重
So why did it hurt so much?
那么为什么会这么痛呢?
And why did I feel a strange tingly pain all the way to my fingers?
为什么我的手指会感到一种奇怪的刺痛?
I know my fingers didn’t hit the table, just my elbow
我知道我的手指没有碰到桌子,只是我的肘部
Weird, right?
很奇怪,对吗?
Well, the part of the elbow I hit is called the funny bone
嗯,我撞到的肘部的那部分叫做(肘部)尺骨端
It’s way more sensitive than other parts of your body, so if you accidentally bump it, it can really hurt
它比你身体的其他部位敏感得多,所以如果你不小心撞到它,它会很痛
But the reason I could feel it all the way in the tips of my fingers is that the funny bone isn’t a bone at all
但我之所以能在指尖感觉到它,是因为(肘部)尺骨端根本就不是骨头
It’s actually a nerve
实际上是一条神经
A nerve helps information travel between your body and your brain
一条帮助在你身体和大脑间传播信息的神经
We have them all throughout our bodies, from our fingers to our toes and everywhere in between
从手指到脚趾,我们的身体各处都有它们
And there's a special name for all these nerves: the nervous system
所有这些神经都有一个特别的名字:神经系统
It helps us do, well, everything
神经系统帮助我们做一切事情
When we touch something with our fingers, we can feel it because the nerves in our fingers are carrying the message all the way from our hand to our brain
当我们用手指触摸东西时,我们能感觉到它,因为我们手指里的神经把信息从手传递到大脑
The message tells the brain, “Hey, we're touching something right now!”
这个信息告诉大脑,“嘿,我们正在触摸什么东西!”
The nervous system also helps us see, carrying the picture from our eyes to our brain
神经系统也帮助我们看东西,把图片从眼睛传到大脑
So, we really need our nervous system, or else different parts of our body wouldn't be able to communicate with our brain
所以,我们真的需要我们的神经系统,否则我们身体的不同部分就无法与我们的大脑沟通
Our brain works with the rest of our body to make sense of the world
我们的大脑和我们身体的其他部分一起工作来理解这个世界
And that includes when we feel pain
这包括我们感到疼痛的时候
You might be wondering why we need to feel pain at all
你可能想知道为什么我们需要感受疼痛
I mean, it really hurts!
我是说,真的很疼!
But our nervous system is actually helping us!
但是我们的神经系统确实在帮助我们!
Say I had some soup that was too hot
说我喝的汤太烫了
If my nervous system didn’t tell my brain “That soup is too hot,” I could burn my mouth by continuing to eat it
如果我的神经系统没有告诉我的大脑“那汤太烫了”,我就会继续吃下去,把嘴烫伤
But since my nervous system spoke up, I knew to let the soup cool off just a little bit
但由于我的神经系统在说话,我知道让汤冷却一点
So, let’s go back to when I hurt my elbow
让我们回到我肘部受伤的时候
For most of the body, the nervous system is protected by other parts of the body, like muscles
对于身体的大部分,神经系统受到身体其他部位的保护,比如肌肉
Basically, it's padded nicely so that if I, say, bump my leg or the side of my arm, it doesn't hurt that much
基本上,它垫得很好,所以如果我,比如说,撞到我的腿或胳膊的一侧,不会那么疼
But on this little part of my elbow, the nerve isn't protected
但在我肘部的这一小部分,神经没有受到保护
This nerve has a special name: the ulnar nerve
这种神经有一个特殊的名字:尺神经
The ulnar nerve runs from your neck, down your shoulder, all the way to your hand
尺骨神经从你的脖子,肩膀,一直到你的手
Then it splits into two branches – one is inside your pinky finger and the other branch is inside your ring finger
然后它分裂成两个分支,一个在小指里面,另一个在无名指里面
When the nerve gets bumped at your elbow, it actually bumps up right against your bone!
当神经碰到你的肘部时,它会直接撞到你的骨头上!
That’s why it hurts so much
这就是为什么它这么疼
And you can feel that pain all the way down the rest of your ulnar nerve, to your fingers
你可以感觉到疼痛沿着你的尺骨神经一直延伸到你的手指
But, don't worry, if you do accidentally bump your funny bone, the pain will go away
但是,别担心,如果你不小心撞到了你的(肘部)尺骨端,疼痛会消失
Although you should always tell a grown-up just in case
尽管以防万一你应该告诉成年人
So, now you know why bumping your funny bone hurts so much
所以,现在你知道为什么撞伤了(肘部)尺骨端那么痛了
But that doesn't explain why we call it a “funny bone”!
但这并不能解释为什么我们称它为“好笑的骨头”!
Getting hurt isn't funny
受伤并不好笑
Well, people have two ideas about where the name came from
人们对这个名字的由来有两种看法
The first idea has to do with one of the bones in your arm close to where the nerve is
第一个想法是关于手臂的骨头靠近神经
This bone is called the humerus, and that sounds a lot like humorous, which is another word for funny
这块骨头被称为肱骨,听起来很像幽默,也就是滑稽的另一种说法
The second idea is just that it feels funny when you hit your funny bone – not “ha ha” funny,
第二个想法是,当你触碰到(肘部)尺骨端时会觉得很有趣——不是“哈哈”好笑
but that it's kind of weird, which is another way that people use the word “funny.”
但这有点奇怪,这是人们使用“有趣”这个词的另一种方式。
Well, Squeaks, from now on, I'm going to be careful not to hit my elbow
好吧,吱吱,从现在起,我要小心别撞到我的胳膊肘
But if I do, at least now I know why it hurts and that the pain will go away soon!
但如果我这样做了,至少现在我知道为什么疼了,疼痛很快就会消失!
Thanks for joining us
感谢收看
If you want to keep learning about the weird and fascinating ways that our bodies work, and keep discovering stuff about our amazing world, hit the subscribe button,
如果你想继续学习我们身体运作的奇怪和迷人的方式,并继续发现关于我们神奇世界的东西,点击订阅按钮,
and we'll see you next time here at the Fort!
我们下次在堡垒见!