The police arrived a half-hour later.
半小时后警察来了。
While we were waiting for them to get there, I sat with Clara Dunn in her office.
我和邓恩教授坐在办公室等着,
Uncle Jeff went into the dean's office to look around.
杰夫叔叔进院长办公室四处看了看。
He came out when he heard the police arrive.
他听到警察来了就出来了。
Over the next three hours, we sat and waited.
接下来的三个小时里,我们坐着等待。
The police officer in charge, Detective Cluso, questioned each of us separately.
负责案件的克鲁索警官询问了我们每个人。
My uncle went first, then Professor Dunn, then me.
杰夫叔叔先去,然后邓恩教授,最后是我。
When Professor Dunn was out of the room,
邓恩教授从询问室出来时,
I wanted to ask my uncle how much I should tell the police.
我想问杰夫叔叔我应该告诉警察多少。
Should I tell them what she said?
我应该把邓恩教授的话都告诉他们吗?
Did she really confess to Dean Maurie's murder?
她真的会承认自己杀了毛里院长吗?
But I couldn't ask him, because they had put a police officer in the room to watch us.
但我不能问杰夫叔叔,因为他们派了一名警察在房间里监视我们。
Finally, when I was called, I looked at my uncle.
最后,当叫到我的时候,我看了看杰夫叔叔。
He looked at me, gave me a weak smile, and nodded.
他看着我,微微一笑,点了点头。
I knew what that meant. He wanted me to tell the truth, the whole truth.
我知道他的意思,他想让我说出真相,全部真相。
I followed the police officer and I told Detective Cluso what I knew.
我跟着警察,并把我知道的全都告诉了克鲁索警官。
I told him about Clara Dunn's visit to us the day before and what had happened when we found her here.
我跟他讲了克拉拉·邓恩前一天来我们这儿的事,还有我们在办公室找到她时发生的事情。