I wanted to go home right away to tell Uncle Jeff what Ben had told me,
我想马上回家把本告诉我的事告诉杰夫叔叔,
but I had to go to my English class first. It was 5:30 when I finally got home.
但是我得先去上英语课,到家时已经五点半了。
When I walked in, Uncle Jeff was on the phone.
进门时,杰夫叔叔正在打电话。
"Clara, what's happening?" he said into the phone.
“克拉拉,发生什么事了?”杰夫叔叔对着电话说。
"I can't understand you. Try to calm down and tell me what's happened. Clara? Clara?"
“我听不懂你说什么,冷静下来,告诉我发生了什么事,克拉拉?克拉拉?”
Uncle Jeff held the phone away from his ear and looked at it.
杰夫叔叔把电话从耳边拿开,看着电话。
Then he put it down. He looked very worried.
然后放下。他看起来忧心忡忡的样子。
"What's the matter?" I asked.
“发生什么事了?”我问。
"I wish I knew," he said. "That was Clara Dunn. I couldn't make any sense of what she was saying."
“我也想知道,”他说,是克拉拉·邓恩打来的,我听不懂她在说什么。”
Uncle Jeff didn't say anything for a minute. Then he looked at me.
杰夫叔叔一分钟没说话,然后看着我。
"I think I'd better go find her. I'm pretty sure she was calling from her office."
“我想我最好去找下她,我敢肯定电话是从办公室打来的。”
He put on his jacket and reached for the front door.
杰夫叔叔穿上外套,伸手去拉前门。
"Let me come with you," I said. I didn't like that phone call.
“让我和你一起去,”我说。那个电话让我很不安。
Professor Dunn could be in serious trouble. I wanted to help.
邓恩教授可能会有大麻烦,我想帮忙。