"We both read in paper about how you helped solve the murder last month.
“我和院长在报纸上看到了你上个月是如何帮助破案的。
And I have been learning about the other cases that you helped to solve in the past few years.
我一直在学习你在过去的几年里帮助解决的其他案例。
Dean Maurie doesn't want to do anything, but I told him that I knew you, Jeff.
毛里院长什么都不想做,但我告诉他我认识你,杰夫。
I told him that you would be discreet and very careful to keep things quiet.
我告诉他,你会谨慎小心,不会把事情张扬出去。
Also, you used to be a professor at California U.
另外,你曾经是加利福尼亚大学的教授。
You understand the University.
你了解大学。
You know whom to talk to and whom not to talk to to keep this quiet."
你知道该和谁说话,不该和谁说话,保持沉默。”
Professor Dunn stopped and looked at Uncle Jeff.
邓恩教授停下来,看了看杰夫叔叔。
"You are the only one who can help us," she said. She looked at him hopefully.
“你是唯一能帮助我们的人,”她说。邓恩满怀希望地看着杰夫。
Uncle Jeff didn't answer right away. I could see he was thinking.
杰夫叔叔没有立刻答复,我知道他在想什么。
Finally, after a few minutes, he said,
终于,几分钟后,杰夫叔叔说,
"Okay, Clara, I'll look into it. I can't promise I'll find out who wrote those letters, but I'll try."
“好吧,克拉拉,我去查一查,我不能保证我会找出是谁写的那些信,但我会努力的。”
Professor Dunn smiled for the first time.
邓恩教授还是第一次笑。
"Thank you, Jeff. This means a lot to me.
“谢谢你,杰夫。这对我来说意义重大。
You don't know how worried I've been. I'm sure you'll find out who is behind all of this."
你不知道我有多担心,我相信你会找到这一切的幕后黑手。
"I'll do what I can, Clara. I'll do what I can."
“我会尽力的,克拉拉,我将尽我所能。”
I was glad that my uncle was going to help Professor Dunn.
我很高兴杰夫叔叔能帮助邓恩教授
It seemed like a simple thing: Find the person who wrote the letters.
看起来很简单:找到写信的人。
But, based on past experience,
但是,根据过去的经验,
many simple things have a way of turning into big things—big, dangerous things.
许多简单的事情都有可能变成大的阴谋——重大而危险。