As I walked down the street toward the bar, I heard two gun shots.
当我沿着街道朝酒吧走去时,我听到了两声枪声。
I immediately reached for my gun, which I keep on my belt.
我立即摸出手枪,我一直把手枪别在腰带上。
The gun is registered, of course, but I only carry it with me when I think there might be trouble.
当然,这把枪支有过注册,但是我只是用来防身。
I ran toward the bar, and I heard another sound, like the wheels of a car turning very fast.
我朝着酒吧跑去,我有听到一声枪声,像是紧急停车时发出的声响。
I slowly opened the front door of the bar and looked around.
我慢慢打开酒吧前门,环顾四周。
There was a man standing over a dead body. The floor was covered with blood.
有一个人守着一具尸体。地板满是鲜血。
"Don't shoot!" the man yelled at me.
“不要开枪!”那个男人朝我吼道。
"It's okay, I'm a private detective. What happened here?" I asked.
“没事了,我是一名私家侦探。这里发生什么事了?”我问。
"Someone just ran in here and shot John! I think he's dead," the man answered.
“有个人跑进来,朝约翰开了一枪!我想约翰死了,”这个男人回答。
"John? The dead man's name is John?" I asked.
“约翰?死的人名叫约翰?”我问。
"Yeah, he is-was-the bartender. His name's John Costello."
“是的,他是酒保。他的名字叫做约翰·科斯特洛。”
"Someone call the police," I said. "Did anyone recognize the man who shot Costello? Did anyone see what he looked like?"
“有人报警了,”我说。“有人认识那个朝约翰开枪的人么?有人看清他长什么样了么?”
There were four men in the bar. Each man looked at the other. Everyone just shook their head.
酒吧里有四个人。大家相互看看,都摇着头。