This Great Big Story was made possible by Wells Fargo. Established 1852, re-established 2018.
感谢初创于1852年,重组于2018年的富国银行对本期《伟大的故事》的大力支持。
This is Myron. Hi.
这是迈伦。大家好。
Myron is an athlete. I played a little football in college. And ...I was a Rhodes Scholar. And ....I played for the NFL.
迈伦是一名运动员。我在大学里偶尔也会打橄榄球。而且......我是罗德学者。也是NFL(美国橄榄球联盟)球员。
And ....I have a Master's degree in Medical Anthropology.
我……还有医学人类学硕士学位。
And ....And, I'm a neurosurgeon. Sheesh.
还……还是神经外科医生。我滴老天鹅哎。
My first dream was to play professional football.
我最初的梦想是当一名职业橄榄球运动员。
There's no question.
没有悬念啊。
I was very active as a young man, and I knew that I was pretty good at it.
小的时候我很有活力,我自己也知道我橄榄球打得还不错。
When I got to the fifth grade, that's when I knew I wanted to pursue my second dream.
到了五年级的时候,我知道自己有了第二个梦想。
I read a book called Gifted Hands by Ben Carson, who looked like me-he was black who came from a similar socioeconomic background as me.
当时我看了《妙手仁医之本·卡森的故事》,里面的本·卡森跟我很像 - 他来自和我类似的社会经济背景。
We didn't have much money when we left the Bahamas and came to America,
从巴哈马初来美国时,我们没什么钱,
and the more I read about it, the more I knew that once I was done playing football,
那本书我阅读到后面,就越觉得如果橄榄球这条路走不通,
neurosurgery was gonna be the pathway and the second chapter of my life.
神经外科手术就是我要走的路,它将为我开启生命的第二个篇章。
I was the number one-rated high school player in the country for football-recruited by everyone 83 scholarship offers.
我曾经是国内最受欢迎的高中的橄榄球运动员,我们队的每个人都有83项奖学金
I always felt that football fed academics, academics fed football.
我一直觉得橄榄球和学术是相辅相成的。
Myron spent his college years playing football and shadowing doctors.
大学期间,迈伦就一边打橄榄球,一边跟着医生学习。
He graduated in two and a half years
他只用了两年半的时间就完成了学业,
and was expected to be a first or second round draft pick in the NFL with a multi-million dollar contract,
而且,大家都期望他拿到NFL第一轮或第二轮的选秀权以及数百万美元的合同,
but he also had a chance to study at Oxford as a Rhodes scholar.
同时,他也得到了以罗德学者的身份去牛津大学进修的机会。
I ended up deciding to go to Oxford and saying no to the NFL.
我最终决定拒绝NFL,选择去牛津大学。
I spent a year and a half over there.
我在牛津待了一年半。
I came back to the United States,
之后就回到了美国,
went into the draft and got drafted in the sixth round instead of the second or first, made $70,000 instead of six million.
然后参加选秀,结果在第六轮的时候选上了,不是第二轮,也不是第一轮,拿到了7万美元,而不是600万的合同。
Played for three years, got out healthy, felt good about my time there, and, frankly, made enough money to pay for medical school.
接下来我在NFL待了三年,退役的时候身体很健康,对我那三年的表现也比较满意,而且,老实说,也赚够了我上医学院需要的钱。
I didn't have any lasting concussions,
既没有患上任何持久的老震荡,
and my hands were okay to where I was able to do surgery in the operating room;
而且,我的手也是好好的,到手术室做手术是没问题的;
and so I left on my own volition.
所以我自愿离开了。
Started medical school, and here I am now.
之后上了医学院,再接下来就做了现在这份工作。
Since head injuries are common on the football field,
由于头部受伤在橄榄球场上非常常见,
Myron works to impress the importance of avoiding concussions on young players.
所以迈伦就开始给年轻的队员重复起了避免患上脑震荡的重要性。
But for Myron, his days of tackling are behind him.
然而,对于迈伦来说, 打橄榄球的日子已经离自己远去了。
Football was great for that season of my life, but now this is it.
足球在我生命过往的那段岁月是很美好,但已经结束了。
This is the pinnacle.
现在才是我人生的巅峰。
This is where I belong, and I've told my parents several times over and over again.
这才是我的归宿,这一点我已经反复跟我父母说过了。
They ask me, "Myron, how do you feel? what you're doin' now? How do you feel?"
他们问我,“迈伦,你觉得怎么样?你现在在做什么?你觉得怎么样?”
I said, "Mommy and Daddy, I feel like this is where I belong."
我就说,“妈妈,爸爸,我觉得这才是我的归宿。”
So, did you say you played a sport before? Yes, I played football.
你之前是不是说过你会某种运动?是的,我会打橄榄球。