手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 少儿趣味科学秀 > 正文

动物保护自己的方式

来源:可可英语 编辑:Alisa   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Squeaks and I are getting ready for the beach!

我和吱吱准备去沙滩!
We've got our sunscreen to protect ourselves from the sun!
我们擦好防晒霜来保护自己不受日晒!
We also have plenty of water so we don't get dehydrated,
我们也带了很多水,以防脱水,
which is when your body doesn't have enough water.
脱水是指你的身体没有足够多的水。
We're pretty lucky, all we have to do is grab some sunscreen,
我们非常幸运,所要做的事就是擦点儿防晒霜,
fill up a bottle from the sink here at the Fort, and we're ready to go.
从沃斯堡的水槽中灌满一瓶水,然后就准备出发了。
Other animals can't do that.
其它的动物不能这么做。
But some have their own amazing, and pretty weird ways
但有些动物有令人惊讶的奇特方式,
to protect themselves from the sun, dehydration, and all kinds of other things.
来保护自己免受日晒、脱水以及其它各种伤害。
Like the hippopotamus!
比如河马!
Hippos make red mucus that covers their whole body, which helps them in all sorts of different ways!
河马会产生覆盖全身的红色粘液,这能在各个不同的方面帮助它们!
Mucus is something that we make, too.
我们也会产生粘液。
It's the stuff in our noses that keeps out germs.
它是我们鼻子里的东西,能抵御细菌。
But our mucus is pretty different from hippos' mucus!
但我们的粘液与河马的相当不同!
Their mucus covers the outside of their whole body. Ours doesn't.
它们的粘液能覆盖整个身体表面,但我们的不能。
Imagine if the mucus from your nose covered you from head to toe!
想象一下,你鼻子里的粘液从头到脚覆盖全身的情景!
When hippos are in sunlight, they look red because of their mucus.
河马在阳光下呈现红色是因为它们的粘液。
Sometimes people call their mucus "blood sweat" because the color is like blood,
有时人们称它们的粘液为“血汗”,是因为它的颜色像血,
but the mucus isn't actually blood or sweat.
但粘液实际根本不是血液或汗液。
And this red stuff protects hippos in a lot of cool ways.
这种红色物质用很多很酷的方式保护着河马。
It acts like sunscreen, to protect them from getting a sunburn.
它就像防晒霜一样,保护它们免受晒伤。
It also repels water, which is important since hippos spend a lot of time in water.
它也能防水,这很重要,因为河马很多时候都在水中。
And, it's a natural antibiotic, which means it kills the germs that might make a hippo sick.
而且,它是一种天然的抗生素,这意味着它能杀死可能使河马生病的细菌。
In that way, it is kind of like the mucus we make, since it also keeps us from getting sick!
从这方面来说,它有点儿像我们产生的粘液,因为后者也能防止我们生病!
We just don't cover our whole bodies in it.
我们只是没有把整个身体都裹在里面。

frog.png

But wait till you hear about how the Australian water-holding frog uses its mucus.

等下你会知道澳大利亚储水蛙是如何利用粘液的。
These frogs live in dry places where they have to go without water for really long periods of time.
这些青蛙居住在干旱地区,在那里它们要经历长时间缺水的阶段。
So what does the Australian water-holding frog do?
那么这些澳大利亚储水蛙是如何做得呢?
Well, first, it buries itself underground, as much as over a meter deep!
首先,它将自己埋在深达一米多的地下!
That's longer than my arm! Then it sheds a few layers of its skin.
这距离比我的手臂还长!然后它会脱落几层皮。
Combined with a whole bunch of mucus,
这些脱落的皮与大堆的粘液结合,
the skin it sheds turns into a hard protective cocoon that keeps the frog's water from escaping,
形成了一个坚硬的保护茧,防止储水蛙的水分外流,
so it won't run out of water for a really long time!
这样它在很长一段时间内都不会缺水!
Some people call this layer a "skin bag" because it fully covers and protects the frog,
有些人称这种保护层为“皮袋”,因为它能完全覆盖和保护储水蛙,
kind of like a lunch bag keeps a sandwich cool, just like the one we're bringing to the beach!
它有点儿像可以让三明治保持冷却的午餐袋,就像我们将要带到沙滩上的这个!
Our sandwiches are going to stay nice and cool in there!
我们的三明治能在里面保持冷却和美味!
Anyway, back to the Australian water-holding frog!
总之,回到澳大利亚储水蛙身上!
Once it's underground and nice and comfy in its skin bag,
一旦它待在地下,待在它舒服的皮袋中,
it enters a type of very deep sleep so it can stay underground without needing food or more water.
就会进入一种深度睡眠状态,这样它就可以在不需要食物或更多水的情况下待在地下。
It can stay underground for a whole year!
它可以在地下一整年!
When there's lots of rain again, the frog crawls back up from way down underground to get water.
当雨量再次充沛时,储水蛙就从地下爬上来获取水分。
And if it gets really hungry, the frog can even eat its skin bag.
如果它非常饥饿,甚至可以吃自己的皮袋。
That is definitely not something we can do!
这绝不是我们能做的事!
On the other hand, frogs can't build sandcastles like we can.
另一方面,储水蛙也不能像我们一样建立沙堡。
Which I'm excited to do when we get to the beach!
我们一到沙滩就兴奋得想建它!
That reminds me of something else that can be found at the beach, though it's really rare,
这让我想起了能在沙滩上找到的其它东西,不过它非常稀有,
so chances are Squeaks and I won't come across it.
所以我和吱吱没有机会遇到它。
This really rare thing is called ambergris, and it's something that's made by sperm whales!
这种非常罕见的东西叫做龙涎香,它是由抹香鲸产生的!
Sperm whales live in the ocean, and they are really, really big.
抹香鲸生活在海洋里,它们真得很巨大。
They can grow up to 12 meters long!
它们可以长到12米长!
That's like as tall as a building with three floors!
有三层建筑那么高!
Sperm whales like to eat squid and cuttlefish, and since they're so big, they have to eat a whole lot of them.
抹香鲸喜欢吃鱿鱼和墨鱼,因为它们体型巨大,所以要吃很多。
But their stomachs have trouble breaking down the squid and cuttlefish beaks because they're hard and sharp.
但是它们的胃很难分解鱿鱼和墨鱼的喙状结构,因为它们坚硬而锋利。
Usually, sperm whales will just vomit up the beaks before they reach their stomachs.
通常,抹香鲸在喙状结构到达胃部之前就把它们吐了出来。
But if they don't, they make a substance that helps coat their stomach
但它们如果没吐,就会产生一种物质覆盖在它们的胃上面,
so the hard and sharp beaks won't hurt its body.
这样坚硬锋利的喙状结构就不会伤害它们的身体了。
It's like how we have mucus in our intestines to keep everything moving smoothly,
这就像我们肠内的粘液能帮助食物顺畅移动一样,
although we don't eat anything super hard and sharp like beaks!
尽管我们不吃喙这样非常坚硬锋利的东西!
The stuff the whales make is a little different.
抹香鲸产生的东西有点儿不同。
The whale mucus helps them pass the beaks and any other hard or sharp stuff through their body.
鲸鱼粘液帮助喙状结构和任何其它坚硬或锋利的东西通过它们的身体。
When the mucus is combined with the beaks, that's what we call ambergris.
当粘液与喙状结构结合时,就形成了我们所说的龙涎香。
The really weird thing about ambergris is that over time,
龙涎香的真正奇异之处在于随着时间的推移,
it changes from having a really nasty smell to a really nice smell!
它会从一种非常难闻的气味转变为一种非常美妙的气味!
So nice that people actually started using it in perfumes!
它的味道非常好闻,以至于人们开始用它制作香水!
But we don't do that as much now because it can be really hard to find a chunk of ambergris that washes up ashore.
但我们现在不那样做了,因为很难找到一大块被冲上海岸的龙涎香。
Ambergris also kind of looks like rocks, so we doesn't stand it out.
龙涎香看起来有点儿像石头,所以我们不能辨别出来。
And we definitely don't want to hurt sperm whales to get ambergris,
而且我们绝不想伤害抹香鲸获取龙涎香,
because there aren't too many of them left!
因为它们所剩无几了!
So now people who make perfumes just use a chemical that smells like ambergris, instead of the real thing.
所以现在香水制造商只是用一种闻起来像龙涎香的化学物质代替,而不是真正的龙涎香。
Who would have thought that something whales poop out would make such great perfume!
谁会想到鲸粪会成为如此美妙的香水呢!
All right, Squeaks, are you ready for our day at the beach?
好了,吱吱,你准备好去海滩玩了吗?
Let's double-check that we packed our sunscreen to protect us from the sunburn like hippo mucus...
我们再检查一下,带上防晒霜,它就像河马的粘液一样能防止晒伤...
And that we put the water bottle into the bag so we can stay hydrated like the water-holding frog …
我们还要把水瓶放进袋子里,这样我们就可以像储水蛙一样保持水分了...
We probably won't see any ambergris washed up on the beach, but it's kind of cool to imagine it!
我们可能不会看到冲到海滩上的龙涎香,但是想象它是一件很酷的事情!
Oh, Squeaks, I have an idea!
噢,吱吱,我有个主意!
Instead of a sand castle, we'll make a sand sperm whale! That would be pretty cool!
我们不建沙堡了,用沙子制作一头抹香鲸吧!这会很酷!
But maybe we'll make it a little smaller than the real thing.
但我们建得可能要比实物小一些。
Otherwise we'd be working on it for days!
否则我们要做几天!
Thanks for joining us!
感谢您的收看!
If you want to keep learning and having fun with Squeaks and me, hit the subscribe button,
如果你想继续学习,与我和吱吱共度美好时光,就点击订阅吧,
and don't forget to check us out on the YouTube Kids app.
不要忘了在YouTube Kids应用上查看我们。
Thanks! And we'll see you next time, here at the Fort!
感谢您的收看!我们下期见,沃斯堡等你哦!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
antibiotic [.æntibai'ɔtik]

想一想再看

adj. 抗菌的 n. 抗生素

联想记忆
whale [weil]

想一想再看

n. 鲸
vi. 捕鲸
v. 鞭打,

 
castle ['kɑ:sl]

想一想再看

n. 城堡
v. 置于城堡中,(棋)移动王车易

 
smoothly [smu:ðli]

想一想再看

adv. 平滑地,流畅地

 
sink [siŋk]

想一想再看

n. 接收端,沟渠,污水槽,散热器
vi. 下

 
cocoon [kə'ku:n]

想一想再看

n. 茧,茧状物, vt. 包围,包裹

联想记忆
check [tʃek]

想一想再看

n. 检查,支票,账单,制止,阻止物,检验标准,方格图案

联想记忆
rare [rɛə]

想一想再看

adj. 稀罕的,稀薄的,罕见的,珍贵的
ad

 
perfume ['pə:fju:m,pə'fju:m]

想一想再看

n. 香水,香气
vt. 使香气弥漫

联想记忆
dehydration [.di:hai'dreiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 脱水

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。