"And who is this Captain Calhoun?"
"这个卡尔霍恩船长是什么人?"
"The leader of the gang. I shall have the others, but he first."
"那帮家伙的头头。我还要搞其它几个人,不过先搞他。"
"How did you trace it, then?"
"那么,你怎样追查出来的呢?"
He took a large sheet of paper from his pocket, all covered with dates and names.
他从衣袋里拿出一大张纸来,上面尽是些日期和姓名。
"I have spent the whole day," said he, "over Lloyd's registers and files of the old papers,
"我花了一整天的功夫,"他说,"用在查阅劳埃德船登记簿和旧文件的卷宗,
following the future career of every vessel which touched at Pondicherry in January and February in '83.
追查一八八三年一、二月在本地治里港停靠过的每艘船在离港以后的航程。
There were thirty- six ships of fair tonnage which were reported there during those months.
从登记上看,在这两个月里,到达那里吨位较大的船共有三十六艘。
Of these, one, the Lone Star, instantly attracted my attention,
其中一艘叫做'孤星号',它立刻引起了我的注意,
since, although it was reported as having cleared from London,
因为这艘船虽然登记的是在伦敦结关的,
the name is that which is given to one of the states of the Union."
但是却用了美国的一个州的名称来命名的。"
"Texas, I think."
"我想,是得克萨斯州。"
"I was not and am not sure which; but I knew that the ship must have an American origin."
"是哪一州,我原来弄不清,现在也说不准;不过我知道它原先一定是艘美国船。"