手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 那些你不知道的故事 > 正文

授人以鱼不如授人以渔 他们教流浪者务农

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

This Great Big Story was made possible by Wells Fargo, established 1852, re-established 2018.

感谢初创于1852年,重建于2018年的富国银行(Wells Fargo)对本期《伟大的故事》的大力支持。
This is a story about a dinner.
这是一个关于一顿饭的故事。
But not just any dinner.
但并不是随便一顿饭的故事。
This is a dinner that involves this kitchen, with these cooks and this garden, with these gardeners.
而是关于这些厨师,在这个厨房里,用这些园丁,在这个园子里种出的菜做出来的一顿饭。
It's a center that's helping a community fight homelessness in a big way.
这是一个大力帮助其所在社区解决流浪者无家可归这一问题的地方。
San Francisco has a large population of homeless people.
旧金山有大量的人口无家可归。
Just last year, over 4,000 homeless people were reported unsheltered and over 6,000 unemployed.
据报道,去年就有4000多名流浪者居无定所,6000多人失业。
Enter Farming Hope.
欢迎来到“曙光农业”。
A non-profit created to help those in need by training them in urban farming, and cooking, in the hopes of helping them find full-time employment.
这是一个通过对有需要的人进行城市务农及烹饪培训,从而帮助他们找到全职工作的非盈利组织。
Joining us from the Farming Hope initiative is Jamie, Kevin, and Asha.
曙光农业计划的杰米,凯文和阿莎接受了我们的采访。
We just wanted to be the organizers to piece this knowledge together of how do we grow food and cook it
我们只是想组织一场活动,把食物的种植和烹饪的知识融合起来
in a way that opens up our food system, that gets people the job, and the training that they need and want.
打开我们的食物加工工序,给大家提供一些他们需要并且想要的工作机会,培训机会,
So what we do is we recruit folks who are experiencing homelessness
我们的工作就是招募当前历无家可归的人
to join the Farming Hope community and put our mission into action.
加入我们这个曙光农业大家庭,用行动来践行我们的使命。
But for this to work, participants have to learn the true meaning of farm-to-table.

但为了实现这一点,参与者必须学习食物从农场到餐桌真正的变化过程。

So the first step is in the garden with Asha.
首先,我们要和阿莎一起到菜园里一探究竟。
My role is to help facilitate the employees in the garden.
我的职责是在菜园里为我们的员工提供帮助。
So since we just planted this one, maybe we won't harvest it.
这个是我们刚刚种下去的,所以还不能摘。
But we can harvest from the rooftop garden.
但是屋顶菜园里的可以摘了。
We water, we're also growing new plants, so we're putting seeds in the ground.

给菜浇水,种新的菜,播种。

We harvest every week for the kitchen.
我们每周都要摘一次菜送到厨房。
Kevin uses these in his tacos.
凯文炸玉米饼的时候会用到这个。
And so being here and encouraging them. Beautiful.
所以我就是来这里陪着他们,鼓励他们的。真漂亮。
To get back in touch with themselves just as much as learning about gardening, I think is important.
在我看来,重新找回与自己的联系和学会怎么种菜一样重要。
3

Then once the produce is grown, it's off to the kitchen with Kevin.

菜长好之后,就要送到厨房给凯文。
My role in the kitchen is to facilitate a lot of the hands-on training that we're doing with our transitional homeless folks.
我在厨房里的职责就是对我们正在过渡的流浪者进行大量的手把手培训。
We do a lot of stuff from knife basics, time management, cleanliness,
我们培训的内容很多,从基本的切菜到时间管理到清洁,
stuff that can be directly transferable to other jobs, either in food or not in food.

总之就是其他工作,不管是餐饮行业还是不是餐饮行业,都能直接用到。

I'm always really inspired by the people that we're working with,
我总是能受到同事们的鼓舞,
'cause they're the ones that really dedicate themselves to the work.
因为他们真的对工作很认真负责。
They're here; they're putting in 110 percent, so I think our folks really deserve a lot of the applause.
他们一进到厨房;就会110%地投入工作,我觉得,他们才是真正值得表扬的。
And finally, the team gets to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
最后,团队可以享受他们的劳动成果了。
Each week, they serve up a meal to both homeless, and non-homeless people.
他们每周都会为社区的人做一顿饭,不管是不是流浪者都可以享用。
So for tonight's menu, we started off with a roasted butternut squash taco.
今晚的菜单,我们准备先做一个烤胡桃南瓜炸玉米饼。
The second taco, that's a stewed zucchini.
第二种炸玉米饼配炖西葫芦。
The last taco is a fried rockfish taco.
最后一种炸玉米饼是玉米饼配炸岩鱼。
And then lastly for desert, we're serving a vegan chocolate mousse.
最后一道是我们的甜品,素食主义路线的巧克力慕斯。
And while for some, eating is the best part, for Philip, it's the experience.
对有些人来说,大快朵颐是他们最喜欢的;但对菲利普来说,他最喜欢的是体验的过程。
I was homeless for almost six months for the very first time in my life.
这是我这辈子第一次流浪六个月。
I was introduced to Farmers Hope.
我是别人介绍来曙光务农的。
So I learned a whole lot.
在这里,我学到了很多东西。
Can you smell it, it smells like lemons a little bit. Right.
有没有闻到,有点儿柠檬的味道。真的耶。
It kept me there thinking about my life.
这里的生活让我想到了我自己的生活。
So when I'm there, I have peace.
在那里的时候,我会觉得很平静。
They gave me a new place to go.
他们给了我一个新的去处。
I think the most unique part of Farming Hope is
我觉得我们这个项目最不一样的地方就在于
gathering people from distinct walks of life to break bread together, and just be next to each other.
我们把来自不同行业的人聚集到了一起,分享彼此的食物,相互依偎在一起。
Not every moment of our life has to be about fixing everything,
生活中我们并非每时每刻都要忙这忙那,
and it actually has to start from that place of empathy, of awareness, of neighborliness.

生活其实是从同情,从认识和睦邻开始的。

And by involving everybody at the same level on a dining table,
通过把大家聚在同一张桌子上,
it allows us to open the space up to actual dialogue, actual empathy, actual solutions.

我们才能真正开怀畅谈,真正产生同理心,真正想到解决问题的办法。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
transferable [træns'fə:rəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 可转移的,可转让的

联想记忆
recruit [ri'kru:t]

想一想再看

v. 招募,征兵,吸收(新成员),补充
n.

联想记忆
population [.pɔpju'leiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 人口 ,(全体)居民,人数

联想记忆
community [kə'mju:niti]

想一想再看

n. 社区,社会,团体,共同体,公众,[生]群落

联想记忆
produce [prə'dju:s]

想一想再看

n. 产品,农作物
vt. 生产,提出,引起,

联想记忆
empathy ['empəθi]

想一想再看

n. 移情作用,共鸣,执着投入

联想记忆
deserve [di'zə:v]

想一想再看

vi. 应该得到
vt. 应受,值得

联想记忆
awareness [ə'wɛənis]

想一想再看

n. 认识,意识,了解

联想记忆
urban ['ə:bən]

想一想再看

adj. 城市的,都市的

联想记忆
dedicate ['dedikeit]

想一想再看

vt. 献出,提献辞,致力于

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。