"Yes," I answered, laughing.
"对,"我回答道,不禁笑了。
"It was a singular document. Philosophy, astronomy, and politics were marked at zero, I remember.
"那是一张怪有趣的记录表。我记得:哲学、天文学、政治学,打了零分;
Botany variable, geology profound as regards the mud-stains from any region within fifty miles of town,
植物学,说不准;地质学,就伦敦五十英里以内任何地区的泥迹而言,算得造诣很深;
chemistry eccentric, anatomy unsystematic, sensational literature and crime records unique,
化学,很独特;解剖学,没有系统;关于惊险文学和罪行记录是无与伦比的;
violin-player, boxer, swordsman, lawyer, and self-poisoner by cocaine and tobacco.
是小提琴音乐家、拳击手、剑术运动员、律师;是服用可卡因和吸烟的自我毒害者。
Those, I think, were the main points of my analysis."
我想,那些都是我分析的要点。"
Holmes grinned at the last item. "Well," he said, "I say now, as I said then,
福尔摩斯听到最后一项,嘻嘻地笑了。"嗯,"他说,"就象我过去说的一样,我现在还是要说:
that a man should keep his little brain-attic stocked with all the furniture that he is likely to use,
一个人应当给他自己头脑的小小阁楼里装满他可能需要使用的一切。
and the rest he can put away in the lumber-room of his library, where he can get it if he wants it.
其余的东西可以放到他的藏书室里去,需要的时候,随时取用即可。
Now, for such a case as the one which has been submitted to us to-night,
现在,为了今晚我们接受的这样一桩案件,
we need certainly to muster all our resources.
我们肯定需要把我们所有的资料都集中起来。
Kindly hand me down the letter K of the American Encyclopaedia which stands upon the shelf beside you.
劳驾把你身边书架上的美国百科全书里K字部的那一册递给我。
Thank you. Now let us consider the situation and see what may be deduced from it.
谢谢你!让我们考虑一下形势,看看从中可能作出什么样的推论。