"Do not think of revenge, or anything of the sort, at present.
"现在不要想报仇之类的事。
I think that we may gain that by means of the law; but we have our web to weave, while theirs is already woven.
我认为我们可以通过法律来达到那目的。既然他们已经布下了罗网,我们也应该采取相应措施。
The first consideration is to remove the pressing danger which threatens you.
现在首先要考虑的是消除威胁您的迫在眉睫的危险;
The second is to clear up the mystery and to punish the guilty parties."
其次才是揭穿秘密,惩处罪恶的集团。"
"I thank you," said the young man, rising and pulling on his overcoat.
"谢谢您,"那年轻人说着站起身来,穿上雨衣,
"You have given me fresh life and hope. I shall certainly do as you advise."
"您给了我新的生命和希望。我一定遵照您的指点去做。"
"Do not lose an instant. And, above all, take care of yourself in the meanwhile,
"您必须分秒必争。与此同时,您首先必须照顾好您自己,
for I do not think that there can be a doubt that you are threatened by a very real and imminent danger.
因为我认为,毫无疑问有一种非常现实和迫近的危险正在威胁着您。
How do you go back?" "By train from Waterloo."
您怎样回去呢?""从滑铁卢车站乘火车回去。"
"It is not yet nine. The streets will be crowded, so I trust that you may be in safety.
"现在还不到九点钟。街上人还很多,所以我相信您也许能平安无事。
And yet you cannot guard yourself too closely."
不过,您无论怎样严加小心都不会过分。"
"I am armed." "That is well. To-morrow I shall set to work upon your case."
"我有武器在身。""那就好。明天我就开始办您这案子。"
"I shall see you at Horsham, then?"
"那么,我就在霍尔舍姆等着您?"
"No, your secret lies in London. It is there that I shall seek it."
"不,您这案件的奥秘在伦敦。我将在伦敦寻找线索。"
"Then I shall call upon you in a day, or in two days, with news as to the box and the papers.
"那么我过一天,或者两天,再来看您,告诉您关于那铜匣子和文件的消息。
I shall take your advice in every particular."
我将遵照您的指点逐一去办。"
He shook hands with us and took his leave.
他和我们握手告别。
Outside the wind still screamed and the rain splashed and pattered against the windows.
门外狂风依旧呼啸不已。大雨瓢泼,簌簌不停地敲打着窗户。
This strange, wild story seemed to have come to us from amid the mad elements
这个离奇、凶险的故事似乎是随着狂风暴雨而来到我们这里的,
blown in upon us like a sheet of sea-weed in a gale -- and now to have been reabsorbed by them once more.
它仿佛是强风中掉落在我们身上的一片落叶,现在又被暴风雨卷走了。