Check it out! Squeaks and I built our own well!
来看看!我和吱吱自己造井了!
A well is something you can use to get water from deep under the ground.
井是你用来从地下深处取水的工具。
The Fort already has one, but we wanted to make a smaller version that works the same way,
沃斯堡已经有一口井了,但是我们想造一口工作原理相同的小井,
bringing water from one place to another using science.
用科学把水从一个地方运到另一个地方。
And you can make one, too!
你也可以自己造一个!
We'll show you how we did it, and why it works. Are you ready, Squeaks?
我们将向你展示制作方法以及它是如何工作的,吱吱,准备好了吗?
All you'll need is a clear cup or jar, some rocks, water,
你只需要准备一个干净的杯子或罐子、一些石头、水、
a pump-top like from a bottle of soap, and a grown-up to help you out.
泵盖,比如肥皂瓶的瓶盖,找个大人帮忙。
If you want, you can also add food coloring to the water so you can see it more easily.
如果你想的话,也可以在水中添加食用色素,这样你能更容易地看到它。
What color should we use this time, Squeaks?
吱吱,我们这次应该用什么颜色呢?
Ooh, Great suggestion! We'll use Sky Blue! Okay, now we're ready to start.
哦,好建议!我们使用天蓝色!好了,现在我们准备开始。
First, place your rocks in your cup or jar, until its about halfway full.
首先,把石头放到杯子或罐子里,直到它差不多半满为止。
And now fill it halfway full of water. And now we'll add the food coloring.
另一半加满水。现在我们加入食物色素。
This cup will act like the earth, with water hiding deep underground between all of the bits of rock and dirt.
这个杯子就像地球,水藏在地下的岩石和泥土之间。
Make sure to wash all the soap off your pump like we have and put it in the jar,
一定要像我们这样,把泵上的肥皂洗干净,然后把它放进罐子里,
so that the pipe part touches the water.
这样管道部分就能接触水了。
OK, Squeaks, now we have to prime the pump.
好了,吱吱,我们现在启动水泵。
That just means pumping it a few times,
这意味着要泵它几次,
until there's enough water inside the smaller section at the top, called the storage chamber, for it to work.
直到顶部较小的部分——储存室有足够的水,使它能工作。
To make sure I don't make a mess, I'm going to put a cup under my pump first.
为了确保我不会弄得一团糟,我打算先在泵下面放一个杯子。
When I push down on my pump, it forces some air out.
当我往下推泵时,它会挤出一些空气。
You can see that there's air in the bubble from the leftover soap.
你可以看到剩下的肥皂泡泡里有空气。
Then, when I let go, it pulls some of the water up through the pipe and into the storage chamber.
然后我放开时,它会从管子里拉上来一些水,水进入储存室。
It's a lot like sucking on a straw, except you're doing it with the pump instead of your mouth.
这就像吸吮吸管一样,只不过你用的是泵而不是嘴。
As we keep pumping, more and more water goes up the pipe,
随着我们不断抽水,越来越多的水流入管道,
and when the storage chamber is full, that means the pump is primed.
当储存室被充满时,这意味着泵已经启动了。
Before, when we pushed down on the pump, air came out.
以前我们往下推时,空气会出来。
But now that it's primed, let's see what happens.
但是现在它已经启动了,让我们看看会发生什么。
Look at that, we've created our very own well!
你看,我们造了自己的井!
That's a good observation, Squeaks.
这个观察不错,吱吱。
We don't need to pump the Fort's well with our hands to get water from the sink.
我们不需要用手泵沃斯堡的井来从水池抽水。
Which is nice, because that would be a lot of work!
这很好,因为用手很费功夫!
Instead, many wells use an electric pump to do the same job.
相反,许多井用电泵做同样的工作。
Instead of someone pumping the well by hand, a machine does it automatically,
它们不是靠手抽水,而是机器自动抽水,
using the same motions to pump water up through the pipes and into the storage chamber.
用同样的动作把水从管道中抽上来,注入储存室。
As long as the storage chamber stays full,
只要储存室是满的,
whenever I turn on a faucet that's connected to the chamber, water will come out.
无论何时我打开与储存室相连的水龙头,水都会流出来。
This means that instead of going out to pump a well whenever I need water,
这就意味着,我需要水时不用出去从井里泵水,
I can have a machine do it while I do other things, like experiments with my best buddy.
我可以让机器做它,而我可以做其他事情,比如和我最好的朋友做实验。
Of course, that's you, Squeaks! I love learning about science and machines with you.
当然是你,吱吱,我喜欢和你一起了解科学和机器。
What should we try next?
我们接下来应该尝试什么?
Should we use our well to pump something like juice or milk?
我们应该用我们的井泵果汁或牛奶之类的东西吗?
Do you think it'll work with something thick like syrup?
你认为它对糖浆之类的浓稠东西起作用吗?
If you try this out for yourself, let us know what you learn from your experiments!
如果你自己尝试了这个实验,告诉我们你从实验中学到的知识!
Ask a grown-up to help you leave a comment below,
找个大人帮忙在下方留言,
Thanks! We'll see you next time, here at the Fort.
感谢您的收看!我们下期见,沃斯堡等你哦!