Dialogue 1
Jingjing: Hey Mark, keeping cool?
京晶:嘿,马克,凉快吗?(酷吗?)
Mark: What? It's not that hot yet. I'd be glad if this were as hot as it got through September. But I know we have a few months of warm, hot, and sweltering days up ahead of us.
马克:什么?还没有那么热。如果一直这个温度过夏天就好了。但我知道还有好几个月热得让人不舒服的日子等着我们呢。
Jingjing: I've got some ice cream. Would you like some?
京晶:我这儿有冰激淋,想来点儿吗?
Mark: I would, but I just finished lunch and need to get back to work right away. Do you have it in the freezer?
马克:想啊,但我刚吃完午饭,需要马上回去工作了。你冰箱里还有吗?
Jingjing: Yeah, I'll save some for you. It's chocolate chocolate chip.
京晶:有啊,那我给你留点儿。是巧克力味的,巧克力粒。
Mark: What brand is it?
马克:什么牌子的?
Jingjing: I'm not really sure. Are you an ice cream snob?
京晶:我不太确定。你是吃冰激淋还讲究品牌的人吗?
Mark: No. I mean, I'm always grateful for free ice cream. I was just wondering what to look forward to after work.
马克:不是,我是说,免费的我都喜欢。我只是很好奇工作完了我有什么期待。
Jingjing: What's your favorite brand?
京晶:那你最喜欢的牌子是什么?
Mark: You might not have heard of it: Ben & Jerry's. In the States, it's one of the big ones, like Häagen-Dazs or Baskin-Robbins.
马克:你可能都没听说过:本杰瑞。在美国,它是其中的一款大牌,就像哈根达斯和芭斯罗缤一样。
Jingjing: I can't say I have. Those other two brands are kind of expensive though. Is Ben & Jerry's also pretty pricey?
京晶:我还真没听说过。那两个牌子还真有点贵。本杰瑞也价格不菲吗?
Mark: Yeah. But, I mean, if you're going to have ice cream once in a while, it's worth it to get something really delicious.
马克:是呢。但我意思是,如果你只是偶尔吃吃冰激凌,值得吃点真正美味的。
Jingjing: What's your favorite flavor?
京晶:你最喜欢什么口味?
Mark: I like mint chocolate cookie. I can eat a whole pint of that before getting tired of it, maybe two!
马克:我喜欢薄荷巧克力饼干,我可以吃下整整一品脱,直到吃腻,也许两品脱!
Jingjing: Well, it sounds like you really pig out on ice cream—once in a while.
京晶:听上去你还真时不常地大吃特吃冰激淋呢。
Mark: Yeah, once in a while. See you after work, Jingjing! Keep that ice cream cold for me!
马克:是啊,偶尔嘛。下班后见哦京晶,别让我的冰激淋化了啊!
New words: 习语短语
sweltering 热而不舒服的天气
very hot weather, uncomfortable
snob 某种物品只买大牌的人
someone who only likes the most expensive brands
the big ones 大牌
famous brands, seen everywhere
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: There you are, Mark. All done with work?
京晶:给你,马克,工作都完成吧?
Mark: Yep. I'm ready for a treat!
马克:是呢。我准备好了享受招待了!
Jingjing: Someone ate up the ice cream we were talking about. So, here's a Wa Wa Lian. Have you had it before?
京晶:有人吃光了之前我们说的冰激淋。所以,喏,这有一只娃娃脸,你之前吃过吗?
Mark: Yeah, lots of times. It's one of my favorite kinds of ice cream sold at corner stores.
马克:吃过好多次了。这是在街边店里卖的我最喜欢的一款冰激淋。
Jingjing: I've had this kind of ice cream since I was a kid. I like how the face is made from chocolate and vanilla.
京晶:我小时候吃过。我很喜欢巧克力和香草做成的脸。
Mark: Yeah, it's fun to eat. Say, I forgot to ask, what's your favorite kind of ice cream—besides Wa Wa Lian?
马克:是啊,吃着很好玩。我忘了问,除了娃娃脸,你最喜欢哪种冰激淋?
Jingjing: Actually, I like some of the healthier alternatives, like frozen yogurt or sorbet.
京晶:说真的,我喜欢一些更健康的替代品,比如冰冻酸奶和雪芭。
Mark: Those are healthier, because they have less cream.
马克:那些就是更健康呢,因为有更少的奶油。
Jingjing: Yeah, sherbet is okay too, with some cream. Mainly, I like fruit flavors—strawberry, peach, blueberry. And those taste really fresh as frozen yogurt or sherbet or sorbet.
京晶:是的,冰冻果露也好,再带点奶油。我主要喜欢水果口味——草莓,桃,蓝莓。这些口味非常清新,就像冰酸奶,冰果露和雪芭一样。
Mark: Well, it sounds like you and I like different flavors.
马克:听上去你和我喜欢的口味不同。
Jingjing: That might be. But I agree that a frozen treat should be good quality.
京晶:可能吧。但我同意冰冻甜食必须得质量好。
Mark: Have you ever tried to make ice cream yourself?
马克:你试过自己做冰激淋吗?
Jingjing: You mean like with a machine? No, I haven't.
京晶:你是说用机器做吗?没有呢
Mark: I did, but it took a long time, and didn't taste very good.
马克:我做过,真花时间啊,完了味道还不怎么好。
Jingjing: Ha ha. I prefer to buy ice cream—or frozen yogurt—and then add a lot more fresh fruit myself.
京晶:哈哈。我宁愿买冰激淋,或者冰酸奶—然后自己多加点新鲜水果。
Mark: Good idea, that way you're making a sundae or a banana split.
马克:好办法。这样一来,你就做了一个圣代,或者香蕉圣代。
Jingjing: Stop! You're making me hungry!
京晶:停停停,你这么一说,我都饿了。
New words: 习语短语
vanilla 香草
alternatives 替代物
similar things, but different in one important way (low-fat alternatives, sugar-free alternatives, vegetarian alternatives)
frozen yogurt 冰冻酸奶
sorbet 冰糕
frozen fruit juice and sugar, with no milk or cream at all
sherbet 冰冻果子露
frozen fruit juice and sugar, with a little cream—lighter than ice cream
sundae 圣代
a dish made with ice cream, syrup and fruit
banana split 香蕉圣代
a dish made like a sundae, but served over a banana that has been cut in half lengthwise