For most people, when they drink alcohol, it can make them feel more confident and comfortable.
对于大多数人来说,喝酒能让他们感觉更自信,更舒服。
But for me, drinking makes me feel less confident and UNcomfortable.
但对我来说,喝酒反而会让我感觉不自信,不舒服。
That’s because, thanks to my DNA, alcohol makes my skin turn red.
这是因为由于我DNA的特殊性,酒精会使我的皮肤变红。
It’s called Asian flush, and it affects about 36% percent of Northeast Asians, with higher rates among Asian Americans.
这种现象叫作“亚洲红脸症”,约有36%的东北亚人会有这种症状,亚裔美国人中的比例则更高。
I guess We should probably show you what it looks like.
我想,或许我们应该让你们见识一下什么是“亚洲红脸症”了。
For Science. For Science.Are we slamming this? What's happening?
为了科学。为了科学。 我们是要一口闷吗?到底什么情况?
Umm. If I knew I'm gonna to take pictures,then I would drink less until these pictures are over and then I will go back to normal pace.
呃,如果我知道要拍照的话,拍照之前我就会少喝点,拍完再放开喝。
People tend to assume that a red face means that we’re drunk but that’s a myth.
人们往往认为脸红就意味着我们喝醉了,但这只是一个传说。
These are completely separate processes.
脸红和喝醉完全是两码事。
Facial flushing, whether from embarrassment, exercise, or alcohol, happens when blood vessels under the surface of the skin dilate.
无论是因为尴尬、锻炼还是酒精,皮肤下的血管扩张就会导致脸红。
In the case of Asian flush, this is part of an immune response.
亚洲红脸症其实也是一种免疫反应。
The body is detecting a threat.
身体检测到了威胁。
The threat isn’t the alcohol itself, but a substance that our livers produce while breaking down alcohol.
但威胁并非酒精本身,而是我们的肝脏在分解酒精时产生的物质。
For me at least, the warmth starts in my chest and then moves its way up. My cheeks are warm, my ears are warm.
就我个人而言,首先是我的胸口开始发热,接下来这种感觉会往上走。 我的脸会很热,耳朵也是。
It’s weird, it’s almost like my eyes are almost puffy. Well, I do feel like they get puffy.
奇怪的是我的眼睛会有浮肿的感觉。是的,我也会有眼睛浮肿的感觉。
When people drink ethanol - that’s the chemical name for booze - the liver gets rid of it using two main enzymes.
人体摄入乙醇- 酒的化学名称 -时,肝脏会用两种主要的酶来分解它。
The first reacts with the ethanol molecule to produce a substance called acetaldehyde.
第一种与乙醇分子反应,产生所谓的“乙醛”。
And the second quickly turns acetaldehyde into acetate, which is similar to vinegar, and easy for the body to eliminate.
第二种酶则迅速将乙醛转化为乙酸,乙酸跟醋差不多,而且更容易从人体中释放出去。
It’s that second enzyme that really screws things up for people with Asian flush.
就是这第二种酶让“亚洲红脸症”人群倒霉的。
If you look inside our DNA, you’ll find that the gene providing the instructions for that enzyme was tweaked at some point in our history.
仔细研究我们的DNA,我们会发现转化该酶的基因在我们生命中的某个时刻被调整了。
And that gene mutation produces an inactive enzyme.
这一基因突变产生的酶活性差。
So when we drink our bodies accumulate acetaldehyde at a level about 6 times higher than normal.
所以,喝酒的时候,我们的身体会积聚比正常水平高出6倍的乙醛。
If acetaldehyde sounds familiar, that may be because it’s similar to formaldehyde. It’s toxic.
如果大家觉得乙醛听起来很熟悉,那可能是因为它与甲醛相似,它也是有毒的。
that's why it triggers the immune response.
所以才会触发免疫反应。
And the red face is really the least of it.
事实上,脸红还是最次要的。
After having that one beer, I didn’t feel tipsy at all, but my heart rate doubled.
喝了那杯啤酒,我根本没有醉意,但我的心率翻了一番。
My eyes were bloodshot, and within a half hour, I had a headache.
我的眼睛也充血了,不到半小时,我又开始头痛了。
Even worse, acetaldehyde can cause cancer.
更糟糕的是,乙醛还会致癌。
It’s a problem because people actually can develop a tolerance to Asian flush, and that allows them to drink pretty heavily.
问题是,人们可以锻炼对“亚洲红脸症”的耐受性,这样一来,有些人就会越喝越多。
Studies have shown that heavy drinking raises the risk of esophageal cancer for everyone, but especially for people with Asian flush.
研究表明,大量饮酒会增加大家,尤其是患有亚洲红脸症的人,患食管癌的风险。
So it’s potentially problematic that alcohol consumption in Asia has been increasing, especially in China.
所以,亚洲,特别是中国的酒类消费一直在增加可能是个问题。
So if you have Asian flush, be careful - your body is freaking out for a reason.
所以,如果你也有亚洲红脸症,那你可要当心了 - 你的身体是不会无缘无故地反常的。
And if you don’t flush, well, just don’t expect us to keep up with you.
如果没有这种症状,那你就别指望和我们拼酒量。
And also you don't have to bring it up every time, like, you know, I know that I would turn red, thank you.
而且,你也不用每次都说,就好像,你懂的,我知道我脸会变红,谢谢。
I know this, thanks, awesome.
我知道了,谢谢,高明。