"But his left-handedness."
"那么,他是一个左撇子呢?"
"You were yourself struck by the nature of the injury as recorded by the surgeon at the inquest.
"你自己已注意到在审讯中法医对死者伤痕的记载。
The blow was struck from immediately behind, and yet was upon the left side.
那一击是紧挨着他背后打的,而且是打在左则。
Now, how can that be unless it were by a left-handed man?
你想想看,如果不是一个左撇子打的,怎么会打在左侧呢?
He had stood behind that tree during the interview between the father and son.
当父子两人在谈话的时候,这个人一直站在树后面。
He had even smoked there. I found the ash of a cigar,
他在那里还抽烟呢。我发现有雪茄灰,
which my special knowledge of tobacco ashes enables me to pronounce as an Indian cigar.
我对烟灰的特殊研究,所以能够断定他抽的是印度雪茄。
I have, as you know, devoted some attention to this,
我为此曾经花过相当大的精力,
and written a little monograph on the ashes of 140 different varieties of pipe, cigar, and cigarette tobacco.
我还写过些专题文章论述一百四十种不同的烟斗丝、雪茄和香烟的灰,这你是知道的。
Having found the ash, I then looked round and discovered the stump among the moss where he had tossed it.
发现了烟灰以后,我接着在周围寻找,就在苔藓里发现了他扔在那里的烟头。
It was an Indian cigar, of the variety which are rolled in Rotterdam."
那是印度雪茄的烟头,这种雪茄和在鹿特丹卷制的雪茄差不多。"
"And the cigar-holder?"
"那么,雪茄烟嘴呢?"
"I could see that the end had not been in his mouth. Therefore he used a holder.
"我看出烟头没有在他嘴里叼过。可见他是用烟嘴的。
The tip had been cut off, not bitten off, but the cut was not a clean one, so I deduced a blunt pen-knife."
雪茄烟末端是用刀切开而不是用嘴咬开的,但切口很不整齐,因此我推断是用一把很钝的削鹅毛笔的小刀切的。"
"Holmes," I said, "you have drawn a net round this man from which he cannot escape,
我说:"福尔摩斯,你已在这个人周围布下了天罗地网,他逃脱不了啦,
and you have saved an innocent human life as truly as if you had cut the cord which was hanging him.
你还拯救了一个清白无辜的人的性命,确实就象你把套在他脖子上的绞索斩断了一样。
I see the direction in which all this points. The culprit is..."
我看到了这一切都是朝这方向发展。可是那罪犯是..."