Both male and female colleagues often resist working with a woman who has negotiated for a higher salary
不管是男性还是女性都会拒绝和一个讨价还价、争取更高薪水的女性共事,
because she's seen as more demanding than a woman who refrained from negotiating.
因为她看起来比那些不爱谈判的女性更为苛刻。
Even when a woman negotiates successfully for herself, she can pay a longer-term cost in goodwill and future advancement.
甚至当一个女性为自己的成功谈判时,她在信誉和未来晋升方面付出的将是长期成本。
Regrettably, all women are Heidi. Try as we might, we just can't be Howard.
遗憾的是,我们都是“海蒂”,不管多么努力,我们都无法成为“霍华德”。
When I was negotiating with Facebook's founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg for my compensation,
当年我与脸谱网创始人、首席执行官马克·扎克伯格商谈我的报酬时,
he made me an offer that I thought was fair.
他提出了让我觉得很公平的条件。
We had been having dinner several nights a week for more than a month and a half,
有超过一个半月的时间,我们每周都会在一起吃晚餐,
discussing Facebook's mission and his vision for the future.
讨论公司的使命以及未来的愿景。
I was ready to accept the job. No, I was dying to accept the job.
如此看来,我已经准备接受这份工作了,不,应该说我非常渴望接受这份工作。
My husband, Dave, kept telling me to negotiate,
丈夫戴夫一直鼓励我要继续谈条件,
but I was afraid of doing anything that might botch the deal.
但我害怕弄巧成拙。
I could play hardball, but then maybe Mark would not want to work with me.
我可以表现得很强硬,但如果那样做,也许扎克伯格就不想与我一起工作了。
Was it worth it when I knew that ultimately I was going to accept the offer? I concluded it was not.
既然我知道自己最终会接受这份工作,那么一再为自己争取利益是否值得呢?我得出的结论是,不值得。
But right before I was about to say yes, my exasperated brother-in-law, Marc Bodnick, blurted out,
正当我准备点头时,我的妹夫马克·博德尼克恼火地说:
"Damn it, Sheryl! Why are you going to make less than any man would make to do the same job?"
“谢丽尔,同样的工作,你为什么要比男人挣得少呢?”
My brother-in-law didn't know the details of my deal.
博德尼克并不清楚谈判的细节,
His point was simply that no man at my level would consider taking the first offer. This was motivating.
他只是想强调,和我水平相当的男人才不会像我一样接受那样的薪酬待遇。这大大地鼓励了我。