Squeaks and I made a new friend yesterday!
我和吱吱昨天交了一个新朋友!
Her name is Cassie, and she's a puppy!
她的名字叫凯西,是个小狗!
She loves to play fetch, go for walks, and roll in dirt.
她喜欢玩耍、散步、在泥土里打滚。
It's so exciting to make a new friend, and we had a great time playing with Cassie in the mud.
结交新朋友太令人兴奋了,我们和凯西在泥巴里玩得很开心。
But after we were done playing, Cassie really needed a bath.
但是我们玩完之后,凯西就真的需要洗澡了。
So we filled up a bathtub with warm water
于是我们把浴缸填满温水,
and soap to wash away the dirt from Cassie's fur and get her nice and clean.
用肥皂洗去凯西毛皮上的泥土,让她变得干净整洁。
But after her bath, Cassie's fur smelled kind of funny.
但凯西洗澡之后,她的皮毛散发出一种奇异的味道。
Yeah, she was pretty stinky.
是的,她很臭。
She hadn't smelled nearly as much before her bath,
她在洗澡之前几乎没什么味道,
which seemed weird because normally, soap and water make things stop smelling.
这就奇怪了,因为正常情况下,肥皂和水能去除气味。
So if Cassie was all clean now, shouldn't that have made her smell better?
如果凯西现在全身干净了,味道不应该更好吗?
Squeaks and I wanted to make sure she was okay, so we did some research.
我和吱吱想确保她没事,所以做了一些调查。
And it turns out, almost all dogs smell after getting wet, even if they just had a bath!
结果证明,几乎所有的狗被淋湿后都有气味,即使它们只是洗澡。
That's because of what's in their fur.
原因在于皮毛里的东西。
A microscope is a tool that lets you zoom in on something really closely
显微镜是一种工具,它可以让你近距离放大一些东西,
to see tiny things that would be too small to see otherwise.
去观察那些因太小而看不到的微小物质。
And if you use a powerful microscope to look very closely at a dog's fur,
如果你用强大的显微镜仔细观察狗的皮毛,
you'll find that there are lots of small living things in their fur.
就会发现它们的毛皮里有很多小生物。
We call these microbes, which just means tiny living things.
我们称之为微生物,意思是微小生物。
These microbes are so small, we can't see them without help from a microscope.
这些微生物如此之小,没有显微镜的帮助,我们就无法看到。
Some of the microbes in the fur are yeast, a type of fungus.
毛皮里有些微生物是酵母,一种真菌。
Others are bacteria that help keep a dog's skin healthy.
还有一些可以帮助狗保持皮肤健康的细菌。
Don't worry, Squeaks, we don't need to get rid of these microbes.
吱吱,不用担心,我们不必去除这些微生物。
They are a lot like germs, but they don't mean that a dog is sick or hurt.
它们很像细菌,但不意味着狗会生病或受伤。
They're good germs!
它们都是好细菌!
Microbes actually live all over the place, we just can't see them because they're so small.
微生物实际遍布整个地方,我们看不到是因为它们太小了。
Most of the microbes on Cassie's fur won't bother her,
凯西身上的大部分微生物不会打扰她,
and some of them can even be very helpful.
有些甚至非常有用。
But microbes sometimes leave things behind.
但微生物有时会留下东西。
You already know that when big animals like you and me eat food,
你已经知道,你我这样的大生物吃东西时,
we leave behind anything our bodies can't use when we go to the toilet.
会去厕所留下任何我们身体不能利用的东西。
Well, microbes do the same thing!
微生物也有同样的功能!
Except without actual toilets, of course.
当然,除了没有真正的厕所之外。
We call what they leave behind waste,
我们称它们留下的东西是废物
and there are bits of it wherever they live, including in Cassie's fur.
它们生活的地方都有废物,包括卡西的皮毛。
It's so teeny-tiny that we don't notice it at first, or its smell.
它非常微小,以至于我们一开始并没有注意到它或者它的气味。
But then something happens that makes it more noticeable.
但后来发生的事使它变得更引人注目。
Exactly! The water in the bathtub got the waste all wet.
说对了!浴缸里的水把废物全弄湿了。
Lots of things are smellier when they get wet.
很多东西在被弄湿时会有味儿。
Just think about what happens when you leave wet shoes lying around!
想想看,你把湿鞋扔在身边时会发生什么!
Water helps smelly things move around more,
水可以帮助臭味四处移动,
get into the air more, and get into our noses faster.
让它们更快地扩散入空气,进入我们的鼻子中。
So when we gave Cassie a bath, we got rid of the dirt and mud on her fur coat,
所以我们给凯西洗澡时,我们去除了它毛皮上的泥土,
but we also stirred up all of the stinky waste.
但也把所有的臭垃圾搅了出来。
That made it easier for us to smell, even though Cassie was much cleaner.
这让我们更容易闻到臭味,尽管凯西更干净了。
Good question, Squeaks!
吱吱,问得好!
There are actually some really easy ways to get rid of that wet dog smell really quickly.
实际上,有些简单方法可以让我们很快摆脱湿狗的气味。
First, if your dog gets wet, you can dry them off with towels or a hair dryer set to blow cool air.
首先,如果你的狗被弄湿了,你可以用毛巾把它们擦干或用吹风机吹冷风。
That stops the water from spreading the smell of the waste.
这阻止了水传播垃圾的臭味。
Plus you can give your dog's fur a cool hairstyle at the same time!
另外,你同时可以给狗狗皮毛做个很酷的发型!
Cassie smelled a lot better once we dried her off.
我们把凯西擦干了,闻起来好多了。
There's also special dog shampoo you can use to give a dog a bath,
你还可以使用一种特殊的狗洗发露给狗洗澡,
without as much of the smell getting into the air.
这样就不会有太多的气味进入空气了。
I'm glad that Cassie is clean and healthy, too,
我很高兴凯西能干净健康,
and I'm so excited to learn more about the microbes that live all over our world.
也很高兴能更多地了解世界各地的微生物。
Maybe we can do some more research later.
也许我们以后还可以做更多研究。
But let's go to see if Cassie is ready for another game of fetch!
但我们去看看凯西是否准备好另一场比赛了吧!
Thanks for joining us!
感谢您的收看!
If you want to keep learning and having fun with Squeaks and me, hit the subscribe button,
如果你想继续学习,与我和吱吱共度美好时光,就点击订阅键吧,
and we'll see you next time here at the Fort!
我们下期见,沃斯堡等你哦!