Oh, hey Squeaks! I just woke up from the weird dream.
噢,嘿,吱吱,我刚做了一个奇怪的梦。
You were there, so was our friend Dino, except he was a full-grown dinosaur!
梦里有你,还有我们的朋友迪诺,只不过它是只成年恐龙!
I think he was a T. rex … whew. Strange.
我觉得它是暴龙...唔,好奇怪。
I wonder where they came from!
我想知道梦从哪儿来!
Dreams can seem confusing, but scientists think we have them for a reason.
梦似乎令人困惑,但科学家认为我们做梦是有原因的。
When we go to sleep at night, it can look like our bodies and our brains are turning off.
我们晚上睡觉时,身体和大脑似乎关闭了。
But while the rest of your body is resting and recharging,
但当身体的其他部位休息充电时,
your brain is actually working pretty hard
你的大脑实际仍在辛苦工作,
and shows you dreams kind like a movie going on inside your head!
并向你展示梦,它就像你脑海里上演的电影。
When you're dreaming, some parts of your brain are switched on and working hard,
你在做梦时,大脑的某些部分会被激活并努力工作,
like the ones that think about what you see,
比如那些思考你所见的大脑部分,
and some of the parts that focus on your feelings.
以及专注于感觉的大脑部分。
Meanwhile, the part that does some of your more complicated thinking,
与此同时,思考更复杂事情的大脑部分,
like by asking great questions, like why you're suddenly able to fly, for example, is turned off.
比如问大问题或思考你为什么能突然飞翔的部分就关闭了。
So if you fly in your dream, you can just enjoy the ride!
所以如果你在梦里飞翔,就尽情享受旅行吧!
While you sleep, your brain is going through a bunch of different steps,
你在睡觉时,大脑正经历一系列不同的步骤,
then starting over from the beginning.
周而复始。
That happens a few times every night.
这种情况每晚都会发生几次。
At first, you sleep very lightly.
起初,你睡得很轻。
You might feel like you're still awake, even while you're dozing off.
你可能会觉得自己仍是清醒的,即使你在打瞌睡。
Then, your brain starts to slow down a little more.
然后,你的大脑开始变得迟钝一些。
Your sleep gets a little deeper.
你睡得更深了。
You might have a few dreams,
你可能做过几场梦,
but they're more likely to be about what you were doing the day, nothing too weird.
但它们更可能与你白天做得事有关,这没什么太奇怪的。
But then comes the weirdest part of the night.
但接下来是晚上最诡异的部分。
During this step, your breathing and your heart beat slow down a little.
在这一步中,你的呼吸和心跳会慢一些。
Your body is completely still, but behind your eyelids,
你的身体完全静止,但在你的眼皮后面,
your eyes are moving around a lot,
你的眼睛在动,
in what we call rapid eye movement, or REM sleep for short.
我们称之为快速眼动,或简称REM。
REM sleep is really important for your body,
快速眼动对你的身体真得很重要,
it's when you'll have the most epic, story-like dreams,
此时你将拥有最史诗、故事般的梦,
and the ones that you'll remember best in the morning.
也是你早上记得最清楚的东西。
Some people remember lots of details from their dreams, and some people don't.
有些人会记得梦里的很多细节,有些人则不记得。
But even if you don't remember your dreams very well, you still have them.
但即使你不太记得你的梦,但你仍然做过。
Everybody does, and some other animals do too!
所有人都做梦,有些动物也一样!
All mammals, animals like dogs and cats and humans and rats,
所有的哺乳动物,如猫狗、人类和老鼠
experience REM sleep, and so do some birds.
都经历过快速眼动,一些鸟类也经历过。
During sleep, our brains sort out all the information we've been taking in while we're awake.
在睡觉的时候,我们的大脑会整理出我们清醒时所接收到的所有信息。
Some of your dreams might be about things that happened during the day,
有些梦可能关于白天发生的事情,
like playing with your friends at school.
比如你和你的朋友在学校玩。
But then your dreams can start to jump into all kinds of wacky stories.
但是,你的梦也可能开始变成各种稀奇古怪的故事。
Maybe you're bouncing around on the moon,
也许是你在月球上跳跃,
or having a conversation with a giant talking lemon!
或者是和一个大嘴巴的柠檬交谈!
So why do our brains put on this big production for us every night?
那么,我们的大脑为什么每天晚上都为我们上演梦呢?
We may never know for sure, but scientists have a few ideas.
我们可能永远也无法确定,但科学家们有一些想法。
Over the course of a day, you're hearing and seeing and smelling
在一天中,你会听到、看到和闻到
millions of little details about the world around you.
周围世界的无数细节。
And while you sleep, your brain needs to find the most important things you've just learned,
当你睡觉时,你的大脑需要找到你刚刚学到的最重要的东西,
so that it can store it away in your memory for good.
这样大脑就可以把它永远储存在记忆里了。
That way, you'll be able to remember it for years.
你由此很多年都能记住它。
Some scientists think that's what dreams are for,
一些科学家认为梦的作用
they help you figure out the most important things you learned during the day.
是帮你确定白天学到的最重要的东西。
That helps you remember them, and connect them with things you've learned before,
它帮助你记住它们,并将它们与你以前学过的东西联系起来,
so that you're ready to learn more new things tomorrow!
这样你明天就能学到更多的新东西了!
We might also need dreams to help us sort out the feelings we've had during the day.
我们也可能需要梦来帮助我们理清白天的感觉。
If you've been scared or worried about something,
如果你一直害怕或担心某事,
you might have a dream about being scared or worried about a different thing at night,
你可能会在晚上梦到害怕或担心另一件事,
to help you work out how you feel.
来帮助你弄懂你的感觉。
That might help you be more prepared to tackle the scary thing the next morning!
这可能会帮助你在第二天早上准备好应对可怕的事情!
Other scientists don't think that dreams are related to memories or feelings at all!
其他科学家不认为梦与记忆或感觉有关!
Even though your brain still needs sleep to sort out your feelings and memories,
即使你的大脑仍然需要睡眠来整理你的感觉和记忆,
it could be that the movies you see in your dreams just come from your brain calming down after a long day.
但它可能是经过一天的冷静后,大脑做梦时看到的电影
Some people try to use dreams to help them figure out what's bothering them,
有些人试图利用梦来帮助自己找出困扰的问题,
or to help them solve problems.
或帮助他们解决问题。
A lot of creative people, like people who write songs or make movies,
很多有创造力的人,比如写歌或拍电影的人,
and even scientists get ideas from their dreams!
甚至科学家都会从他们的梦中获得灵感!
They connect what they've been thinking about during the day to what they already know,
它们把白天的想法和已经知道的东西联系起来,
and in their dreams, they'll suddenly have an awesome idea!
因此在梦里,他们会突然想出一个绝妙的主意!
No matter what our brains use dreams for,
无论我们大脑中的梦有什么用,
we know that we need sleep to help us learn,
我们知道我们需要睡眠来帮助我们学习,
and to help us feel great when we wake up!
它会让我们睡醒后感觉良好!
And on that note...
关于这一点...
I'm ready to go back to bed and back to whatever adventure my brain has waiting for me when I fall asleep!
我准备回到床上,回到我睡着时大脑经历的冒险。
How about you, Squeaks?
吱吱,你呢?
What's the weirdest dream you've ever had?
你做过的最奇怪的梦是什么?
Do you have any questions for us about sleeping or anything at all?
你对睡眠和其他任何事有什么要问我们的吗?
Ask a grownup to help you leave a comment below,
找个大人帮忙在下方留言,
or send us an email to kids@scishow.com.
或发邮件至kids@scishow.com。
Thanks. We'll see you next time, here at the Fort!
感谢您的收看。我们下期见,沃斯堡等你哦!