Given how fast the world moves today, grabbing opportunities is more important than ever.
考虑到当今世界发展速度之快,抓住机会就显得尤为重要。
Few managers have the time to carefully consider all the applicants for a job, much less convince more reticent people to apply.
主管经理很少会有时间仔细地考察每个申请职位的人,他们更不会去说服沉默谨慎的人申请职位。
And increasingly, opportunities are not well defined but, instead, come from someone jumping in to do something.
而且,“机会”也越来越难以被确切地定义。相反,机会正是来自一个人对某件事的全情投入,
That something then becomes his job.
而这件事随后就会成为他的工作内容。
When I first joined Facebook, I was working with a team to answer the critical question of how best to grow our business.
在我刚加入脸谱网时,我与手下的团队讨论过一个关键的问题:“我们打算做的业务是什么?”
The conversations were getting heated, with many people arguing their own positions strongly.
许多人都坚持己见,于是讨论变得十分热烈。
We ended the week without consensus.
一个星期过去了,意见仍没有达成一致。
Dan Rose, leader of our deal team, spent the weekend gathering market data that allowed us to reframe the conversation in analytics.
我们的首席谈判代表丹·罗斯用整个周末来搜集市场数据,以便让我们从分析的角度来重新组织讨论。
His effort broke the logjam.
他的努力打破了僵局,
I then expanded Dan's responsibilities to include product marketing. Taking initiative pays off.
然后我扩大了他的职责范围,让他管理产品营销和交易团队。如此来看,在工作上积极主动一定会带来回报。
It is hard to visualize someone as a leader if she is always waiting to be told what to do.
如果一个人总是等着别人告诉自己该做什么,我们就很难设想他能成为领导别人的人。
Padmasree Warrior, Cisco's chief technology officer, was asked by The Huffington Post,
美国思科公司的首席技术官帕德玛锡·华莱尔曾被《赫芬顿邮报》问及:
"What's the most important lesson you've learned from a mistake you've made in the past?"
“你从过去所犯错误中学到的最重要的教训是什么?”
She responded, "I said no to a lot of opportunities when I was just starting out because I thought,
她回答说:“当我刚起步时,我拒绝过很多机会,因为当时我想
'That's not what my degree is in' or 'I don't know about that domain.'
‘我这个水平还胜任不了这项工作’或是‘我对这个领域还不了解’。
In retrospect, at a certain point it's your ability to learn quickly and contribute quickly that matters.
现在回想起来,在某个特定时期,迅速学习并做出成绩的能力才是最重要的。