Squeaks and I love to cook.
我和吱吱喜欢做饭。
We're making a type of vegetable pie for dinner right now!
我们正在做一种蔬菜馅饼当晚餐!
Combining different ingredients, measuring out the right amounts of everything,
将不同的食材组合在一起,量出合适的量,
testing out different recipes and getting different results, cooking can be a lot like science!
尝试不同的食谱,然后得到不同的结果,让烹饪就像科学一样!
And we add all sorts of different things to a recipe:
我们在食谱中加入各种不同的材料:
different liquids, like water or cooking oil;
不同的液体,比如水和食用油;
parts of plants, like zucchini or carrots; and we can even add crystals.
不同的蔬菜,比如南瓜和胡萝卜;我们甚至加了一些晶体。
Take a closer look, Squeaks.
吱吱,靠近点儿看。
There is a whole container of tiny crystal pieces to add to our recipe.
这是要加到食谱中的一整个容器的晶体碎片。
You got it, Squeaks. Salt in this salt shaker.
你说对了,吱吱,盐罐里的是盐。
The salt we eat is actually a type of crystal,
我们吃的盐实际是一种晶体,
which just means that it's very hard and is shaped in a special pattern.
也就是说它很硬,有一种特定形状。
And it's really important for keeping our bodies healthy as long as we don't eat too much of it!
只要我们不吃太多,它对于保持身体健康很重要!
You can get salt from the ocean,
你可以从海里得到盐,
or crush up a bigger salt crystal to make the tiny pieces that people can eat.
或者碾碎大块晶体制成人们可以吃的小块。
And if you take a big piece of salt that hasn't been crushed into tiny pieces like these yet,
如果你拿一大块还没压碎的盐,比如这些,
you can actually see through it a little bit!
它有点儿透明!
Could you eat a big salt crystal?
你能吃一大块盐晶吗?
Well...you could try, but it would probably hurt your teeth, because crystals are so strong and hard.
嗯,你可以试试,但它可能会伤害你的牙齿,因为晶体非常坚硬牢固。
That's why most of the time, people eat tiny pieces of salt.
这就是为什么大多数时候人们吃小块的盐。
Like the salt that was crushed up and put into this shaker.
就像这种被压碎、放在盐瓶里的盐。
These tiny pieces are okay to eat, and won't hurt our teeth,
这些小块盐可以吃,不会伤害我们的牙齿,
because our bodies work to break them up into even smaller pieces.
因为我们的身体会把它们分解得更小。
Our mouths are full of spit, or saliva, which is mostly made of water.
我们的嘴里充满了唾液,唾液大部分是由水构成的。
And when salt crystals touch water, they start to dissolve, or melt away.
当盐晶接触水时,它们开始溶解。
Soon, the salt melts away so much that you wouldn't even be able to see it, let alone hurt your teeth on it.
很快,盐就会溶解掉,以至于你看不见它了,更不用说它伤害你的牙齿了。
You can see this happening if you try licking a cracker with some salt on it.
如果你试着舔带盐的饼干,你就能看到这种情况。
Your saliva dissolves the salt, which leaves you with just a plain cracker!
你的唾液溶解了盐,只剩下普通的饼干!
And salt is more than just a tasty crystal.
盐不仅仅是一种美味的晶体。
We eat salt because it has special nutrients that we need.
我们吃盐是因为它有我们需要的特殊营养。
Salt is made up of two ingredients: sodium and chloride.
盐由两种成分组成:钠和氯。
Our bodies need both of these to help us move around and stay healthy.
我们的身体需要这两种成分帮我们四处走动,保持健康。
When salt dissolves in your mouth, it breaks down into those two ingredients.
当盐在嘴里溶解时,它分解成这两种成分。
And then the sodium and chloride go do their special jobs.
钠和氯有其特殊的工作。
Sodium helps your body absorb other nutrients from your food, which gives you energy.
钠可以帮助身体吸收食物中的其他营养,为你提供能量。
And it helps with all kinds of other things, too, like with your heart pumping your blood.
它也可以辅助其他组织,比如帮助心脏泵血。
Chloride, meanwhile, helps your muscles move around,
氯能帮助肌肉活动,
and helps your brain get messages from all over your body.
帮助大脑从身体各处获取信息。
So you can see why salt is so important!
所以你明白盐是多么重要了吧!
People all over the world eat it to keep them healthy.
全世界的人们都吃它来保持健康。
I don't want to eat just salt, Squeaks.
吱吱,我不想只吃盐。
For one thing, it doesn't taste very good on its own.
一方面,它不好吃。
But also, if you eat too much salt at once, you can get pretty sick.
另一方面,如果你一次吃太多会生病。
Having too much sodium or too much chloride can be too much for your body to handle all at once.
太多的钠或氯会让你的身体无法全部消化掉。
It makes people feel very thirsty,
它让人们感觉非常口渴,
and it can make it harder for their heart to pump blood the way it's supposed to.
而且它会使心脏难以按预期方式泵血。
You don't have to worry too much about it unless you're eating a lot of salt every day.
你不必太担心,除非你每天都吃很多盐。
Luckily, we need just a little to make this recipe even tastier.
幸运的是,我们只需要一点点就能让这个食谱更美味。
Salt might be a tiny crystal, but it has a big job!
盐虽然是小晶体,但它有很大的作用!
And it definitely makes food taste more delicious!
它绝对会让食物更美味!
Thanks for joining us!
感谢您的收看!
If you want to keep learning and having fun with Squeaks and me, hit the subscribe button,
如果你想继续学习,与我和吱吱共度美好时光,就点击订阅吧,
and we'll see you next time, here at the Fort!
我们下期见,沃斯堡等你哦!