When I don't feel confident, one tactic I've learned is that it sometimes helps to fake it.
当感觉不到自信时,我告诉你一个窍门,就是要假装自信。有时候这招很管用。
I discovered this when I was an aerobics instructor in the 1980s
这个诀窍是我在20世纪80年代教健美操时发现的
(which meant a silver leotard, leg warmers, and a shiny headband, all of which went perfectly with my big hair).
(你可以想象我穿着银色的紧身衣、暖腿袜套、发套——这些和我的大蓬头非常相配)。
Influenced by the gospel of Jane Fonda, aerobics also meant smiling solidly for a full hour.
受简·方达信条的影响,练习健美操意味着得整整一个小时保持微笑。
Some days, the smile came naturally.
有些时候,笑容是自然流露的;
Other days, I was in a lousy mood and had to fake it.
有些时候,我心情很糟糕,就不得不假笑。
Yet after an hour of forced smiling, I often felt cheerful.
不过,在强迫自己微笑一个小时后,我常常会觉得快乐了许多。
Many of us have experienced being angry with someone and then having to pretend everything's great in public.
我们中许多人都有过这样的经历:正生着某人的气时,又必须马上在众人面前装出“一切都很好”的样子。
My husband, Dave, and I have our moments, and just when we are getting into it, it will be time to go to a friend's house for dinner.
我和丈夫戴夫就有过这种体会。有一次,当我们两人之间因争吵而导致气氛逐渐紧张时,突然发现不得不去一个朋友家吃晚饭。
We put on our "everything's great" smiles, and amazingly, after a few hours, it often is.
于是,我们便挂上“一切都很好”的假笑容。奇妙的是,在几个小时后,之前的不快都自动消散,一切似乎真的已经变好了。
Research backs up this "fake it till you feel it" strategy.
现有的研究都很支持这种“假装自信,直到变得自信”的策略。
One study found that when people assumed a high-power pose (for example, taking up space by spreading their limbs) for just two minutes,
一项研究表明,当人们采取大幅度的动作时(比如肢体的伸展运动),只要持续两分钟,
their dominance hormone levels (testosterone) went up and their stress hormone levels (cortisol) went down.
主导力的荷尔蒙水平(即睾酮,男性荷尔蒙的一种)就会上升,而压力荷尔蒙水平(即皮质醇)就会下降,
As a result, they felt more powerful and in charge and showed a greater tolerance for risk.
从而让人感到自己更有力量、更有责任感,也更愿意承担风险。
A simple change in posture led to a significant change in attitude.
这说明,简单的姿势变化会让态度产生重要的变化。