Squeaks and I were just out for a walk and it sure is cold out today.
我和吱吱刚刚出去了一趟,今天外面很冷。
I'm still pretty chilly and I think it's gonna take a few minutes for my body to warm back up.
我还是很冷,我想我的身体需要几分钟才能暖和过来。
Oh, look, Squeaks, I'm goose bumps all over my arms.
哦,吱吱,快看,我的胳膊起鸡皮疙瘩了。
Goose bumps are tiny bumps that can form all over your skin, mostly on your arms and legs.
鸡皮疙瘩是在皮肤上形成的小肿块,大部分在胳膊和腿上。
It's a normal thing that happens sometimes when you're cold or when you're having a strong feeling like if you're scared.
当你感到寒冷或有一种强烈的感觉,比如非常害怕时就会这样,这很正常。
If you look closely at your arms and legs,
如果你近距离观察胳膊和腿,
you might see tiny hairs growing.
可能会看到细小的汗毛变大了。
Each of these hairs is surrounded by tiny muscles
每根汗毛都被小块肌肉包围着,
and when you get goose bumps, these muscles pull together or contract.
当你起鸡皮疙瘩时,这些肌肉会收缩。
When this happens, the muscles and skin around the hairs pull closer to your body,
这种情况发生时,汗毛周围的肌肉和皮肤会贴近身体,
so the hairs stand up higher and you get those little bumps at the same time.
于是汗毛立得更高,同时这些小疙瘩也出现了。
Oh, good guest, Squeaks, but you don't get goose bumps from geese.
吱吱,你请了一位好客人,但你的鸡皮疙瘩不是鹅造成的。
We call them goose bumps because they look a little bit like a gooses skin underneath the feathers.
我们称它为鸡皮疙瘩是因为它有点儿像鹅毛下的鹅皮。
It's kind of a silly name.
这个名字有点儿傻。
These don't even really get goose bumps.
鹅不会起鸡皮疙瘩。
They might extend their feathers but it's not exactly the same.
它们可能会展开翅膀,但这不完全一样。
Some other kinds of animals do get goose bumps, though, especially animals with fur.
不过其他种类的动物会起鸡皮疙瘩,特别是长毛的动物。
One of the most common reasons people and other animals get goose bumps is the temperature,
人们和其他动物起鸡皮疙瘩的最常见原因之一是温度,
or how warm or cold it is, like what just happened to me.
太热或太冷,就像我这种情况。
When it's very cold out, your body tries to stay warm.
当外面太冷时,你的身体想保暖。
Think about what you do to keep warm in the cold?
想想在寒冷中你要做些什么来保暖?
You might fold your arms or curl up on the couch.
你可以交叉双臂或者蜷缩在沙发上。
When you do these things, you're pulling your body as close together as possible to keep your heat close.
当你做这些事时,你会尽可能地把身体拉近,以保持热度。
And you can wrap yourself up, so there's something between you and the cold air outside.
你也可以把自己包裹起来,这样就能把自己和外面的冷空气隔离开来。
Goose bumps can help do both.
鸡皮疙瘩两种作用都有。
The muscles around your hairs contract, pulling closer to your body to keep your heat close.
你汗毛周围的肌肉收缩,贴近身体以保持热度。
At the same time, it pushes your hairs out to try and make a thicker layer between you and the cold, almost like a layer of fur.
同时,它把汗毛推出去,想在你和冷空气之间形成一层厚度,就像一层毛。
But since we humans don't have fur, it doesn't help us as much as it would for an animal that does have fur,
但因为我们人类没有毛,它的作用没有有毛的动物那样大,
so next time I should probably just wear a warmer jacket.
所以下次我应该穿一件暖和的夹克。
There are other reasons that an animal might want to have a big fluffy layer of fur, though.
不过,动物想要一层蓬松的毛还有其他原因。
When animals are surprised or see something scary like a predator that might want to eat them,
当动物感到惊讶或者看到一些可怕的东西,比如想吃它们的捕食者时,
sometimes they'll try and scare that predator off.
有时它们会试图把捕食者吓跑。
If you've ever seen a cat suddenly puff up their fur when they're surprised, that's why.
如果你看过一只猫在惊讶时突然炸毛,就是这个原因。
They're trying to look so big and scary that nothing we'll want to mess with them.
它们想让自己看起来很大很可怕,让我们不想惹它们。
I wouldn't want to mess with a scared cat, either.
我也不想惹一只惊恐的猫。
People can get goose bumps when they're scared, too.
人们在害怕时,也会起鸡皮疙瘩。
Our bodies are trying to make us look big and scary just like that cat, even though we don't have fur.
我们的身体想让我们看起来很大很可怕,就像那只猫一样,即使我们没有毛。
Just imagine if I had a thick furry coat and puffed up,
想想,如果我有一身厚厚的毛,然后炸毛,
I'd look really big and I could probably scare off whatever was scaring me.
我会看起来很大,可能会吓走让我害怕的东西。
What do you think, Squeaks?
吱吱,你怎么想?
Squeaks, oh, you scared me.
吱吱?噢,你吓到我了。
Now I've goose bumps all over again.
我的鸡皮疙瘩又起来了。
Have you ever gotten goose bumps?
你起过鸡皮疙瘩吗?
One of ways could you use to keep yourself warm or to make yourself look big and scary?
你有什么方法让自己保暖,或者让自己看起来又大又吓人?
Ask a grown-up to help you leave a comment down below,
找个大人帮忙在下方留言
or send us an email to kids@scishow.com.
或发邮件至kids@scishow.com。
Thanks, and we'll see you next time, here at the Fort.
感谢您的收看,我们下期见,沃斯堡等你哦!