"Circumstantial evidence is a very tricky thing," answered Holmes thoughtfully.
福尔摩斯若有所思地回答说:"拿现场做证据是很靠不住的。
"It may seem to point very straight to one thing, but if you shift your own point of view a little,
它好象可以直截了当地证实某一种情况,但是,如果你稍为改变一个观点,
you may find it pointing in an equally uncompromising manner to something entirely different.
那你就可能会发现它同样好象可以明确无误地证实迥然不同的另一种情况。
It must be confessed, however, that the case looks exceedingly grave against the young man,
但是,必须承认,案情对这个年轻人十分不利,
and it is very possible that he is indeed the culprit.
他可能确实就是杀人犯。
There are several people in the neighbourhood, however, and among them Miss Turner, the daughter of the neighbouring land-owner,
在附近倒有几个人,其中有农场主的女儿特纳小姐,
who believe in his innocence, and who have retained Lestrade,
相信他是清白无辜的,并且委托雷斯垂德承办这件案子,
whom you may recollect in connection with 'A Study in Scarlet', to work out the case in his interest.
你可能还记得雷斯垂德就是同'血字的研究'一案有关的那个人,
Lestrade, being rather puzzled, has referred the case to me,
但是,雷斯垂德感到这个案子相当难办而求助于我。
and hence it is that two middle-aged gentlemen are flying westward at fifty miles an hour
因此,这就是两个中年绅士以每小时五十英里的速度飞奔而来,
instead of quietly digesting their breakfasts at home."
而不在吃饱早餐以后留在家里享享清福的缘故。"
"I am afraid," said I, "that the facts are so obvious that you will find little credit to be gained out of this case."
我说:"我看这些事实太明显了,恐怕你从处理这个案子中得不到多大的好处。"