Hi guys! We're all bundled up for some Winter fun.
嗨,大家好!我们穿得暖暖的来找冬趣。
Squeaks wants to build a snowman. Oh, I mean, my bad, a snow rat.
吱吱想堆雪人,噢,我说错了,是堆雪鼠。
Whether it's a snow person or a snow rat, building a snow being is all about balance.
不管是雪人还是雪鼠,堆雪的关键在于平衡。
Can you guess what kind of scientist has to spend a lot of time thinking about how things balance?
你能猜猜哪种科学家花很多时间来思考物体的平衡吗?
That's right! Engineers. There are all kinds of engineers, but I'm thinking about building engineers.
说对了,工程师。工程师有各种各样的,但我想到的是建筑工程师。
They build tall buildings like houses and even skyscrapers.
他们建造高楼大厦,比如房子甚至摩天大楼。
So when we're planning on building a snowman, we need to think like engineers.
所以当我们打算堆雪人的时候,需要像工程师一样思考。
Squeaks and I like to build with three different size snowballs,
我和吱吱想用三种不同大小的雪球来堆雪人,
a big one, a small one, and a medium one that's smaller than the big one but bigger than the small ones.
大号、小号和介于大号和小号之间的中号。
To make the snowballs, I first pack a bunch of snow in my hands to make a ball,
为了制作雪球,我先手捧一堆雪,把它做成球,
then once the ball is almost too big to hold, I put it on the ground and roll it.
然后在球太大、拿不动的时候,把它放在地上滚。
The ball will pick up snow and get bigger and bigger.
球上沾雪,变得越来越大。
Then I do this twice more so I end up with three snowballs to build my snowman.
我随后又做了两次,最终做出三个堆雪人的雪球。
Let's try a few different ways to stack our snowballs and see what works and what doesn't work.
我们尝试几种不同的方法来堆雪球,看看哪种方法能用,哪种不能用。
First, just for fun, let's try putting the smallest ball on the bottom, and the medium ball in the middle and the biggest ball on top.
首先,为了好玩,我们把最小的雪球放在底部,中号的放中间,最大的放上面。
Oh man! The two balls on top toppled over.
哦,天哪!上面的两个球倒了下来。
That's because the bigger balls don't have enough room underneath them to sit on.
这是因为大球下面没有足够的空间来支撑。
With the smaller balls at the bottom, they have to be very carefully balanced to stay upright.
因为小球在底部,它们必须非常小心地平衡才能保持直立。
And if there's just a little too much weight on one side or the other, you've got a snowman down!
如果一边或另一边的重量稍微多一点儿,雪人就会倒下!
That's why snowmen aren't very good at headstands.
这就是雪人不擅长倒立的原因。
Now, what if we put the medium ball on the bottom, then the smallest ball, and the biggst ball on top?
现在,如果我们把中号雪球放底部,然后是小球,最后是大球放上面会怎么样呢?
Augh! The big one falls off right away! But the smaller ball stays where it is.
噢!大球立刻掉了下来!但小球仍在原地。
That's because the little ball has a lot of room to rest on.
这是因为小球有足够多的停留空间。
It's totally supported by the medium ball, so there's nowhere for it to fall.
它完全被中号雪球支撑起来,所以掉不下去。
But the biggest ball? Doesn't have nearly enough room underneath it to sit on?
但大球呢?是它下面没有足够大的空间来支撑它吗?
But how about this: What if we put the biggest ball on the bottom, the medium size ball in the middle, and the smallest ball on top?
但如果这样做:我们把大球放在底部,中号雪球放中间,小球放在上面呢?
Finally, we have a snowman that can actually stand up.
最终,我们的雪人站起来了。
Now we're really thinking like engineers.
现在,我们真的像工程师一样在思考。
Engineers have to make sure that buildings are supported at the bottom just like our snowman so they don't topple over.
工程师们必须确保建筑物被底部支撑起来,就像我们的雪人一样,这样它们就不会倒塌了。
The biggest snowball goes on the bottom to support the medium ball in the middle and the smallest ball rests on the top.
大雪球在底部支撑着中间的中号雪球和上面的小雪球。
Now we just need a carrot for our nose, some sticks for arms,
现在我们需要一根胡萝卜做鼻子,一些木棍做手臂,
some rat ears made out of snow, a tail made out of rope, and cute button eyes.
用雪做鼠耳朵,用绳子做尾巴,再用可爱的纽扣做眼睛。
Hey, it looks a lot like you, Squeaks!
嘿,吱吱,它很像你啊!
What kind of awesome stuff have you built out of snow?
你能用雪做什么了不起的东西呢?
A snowman, a snow rat? A snow fort?
雪人、雪鼠还是雪城堡?
Did it stand up or fall down to the ground?
它能站着还是倒在地上?
Get help from a parent and send us a picture of your cool snow creations at kids@thescishow.com,
找个大人帮忙,并把你制作的雪作品图片发到kids@thescishow.com,寄给我们。
We'll see you next time.
我们下期见。