We had the carriage to ourselves save for an immense litter of papers which Holmes had brought with him.
在车厢里,除了福尔摩斯随身带来的一大卷乱七八糟的报纸外,只有我们两个乘客。
Among these he rummaged and read, with intervals of note-taking and of meditation, until we were past Reading.
他在这些报纸里东翻西找,然后阅读,有时记点笔记,有时沉默深思,直到我们已经过了雷丁为止。
Then he suddenly rolled them all into a gigantic ball and tossed them up onto the rack.
接着,他忽然把所有报纸卷成一大捆,扔到行李架上。
"Have you heard anything of the case?" he asked.
"你听说过有关这个案子的任何情况吗?"他问道。
"Not a word. I have not seen a paper for some days."
"一无所闻。我有好几天没有看报纸了。"
"The London press has not had very full accounts.
"伦敦出版的报纸的报道都不很详细。
I have just been looking through all the recent papers in order to master the particulars.
我一直在看最近的报纸,想掌握一些具体情况。
It seems, from what I gather, to be one of those simple cases which are so extremely difficult."
据我推测,这件案子好象是那种极难侦破的简单案件之一。"
"That sounds a little paradoxical."
"这话听起来有点自相矛盾。"
"But it is profoundly true. Singularity is almost invariably a clue.
"但这是一个意味深长的真理。异常现象几乎总是可以为你提供线索。
The more featureless and commonplace a crime is, the more difficult it is to bring it home.
可是,一个越是毫无特征和平平常常的罪行,就越是难以确实证明它是某个人所犯的。
In this case, however, they have established a very serious case against the son of the murdered man."
然而,这个案件,他们已经认定是一起儿子谋杀父亲的严重案件。"
"It is a murder, then?" "Well, it is conjectured to be so.
"这么说,那是个谋杀案了?"
I shall take nothing for granted until I have the opportunity of looking personally into it.
"唔,他们是这样猜想的。在我有机会亲自侦查这个案件之前,我决不会想当然地肯定是这样。
I will explain the state of things to you, as far as I have been able to understand it, in a very few words."
我现在就把我到目前为止所能了解到的情况,简短地给你说一下。"