Welcome to the Voice of America’s “News Words”, where we teach you about words in the news.
欢迎收听美国之声“新闻词汇”,在这里我们会教您新闻中的词汇。
Listen for the word that means “not working.”
请听意思是“不工作”的词汇。
Here is U.S.House of Representatives Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi:
美国众议院民主党党魁南希.佩洛西说道:
We thank our federal workers for what they have done.
我们感谢联邦政府工作人员所做的一切。
I’m sad about the fact that they had to be furloughed and have this uncertainty in their lives, on top of all the other uncertainty in our economy.
在经历其他所有经济状况的不确定性之后,他们不得不开始休无薪假,觉得生活也无法预料。对此我感到很难过。
A furlough is a temporary leave from work.
无薪假的意思是暂时离开工作岗位。
More than 800,000 U.S.Federal workers were furloughed in 2013.
2013年,超过八十万美国联邦政府工作人员被迫休无薪假。
Congress could not agree on a budget, so workers were told to stay at home.
国会不能在预算上达成一致,所以工作人员被告知要待在家里。
Much of the government was closed.
大多数政府机构都关闭了。
Now when you hear the word “furlough,” your will know what this News Word means.
现在,当你听到“无薪假”这个词的时候,你就会知道这个新闻词汇是什么意思了。