Iwasawa theory was supposed to help create something called a class number formula,
伊娃沙娃理论应可帮助创建出称为类数公式的东西,
but several months passed and the class number formula remained out of reach.
但数月过去了,而类数公式仍遥遥无期。
So at the end of the summer of '91 I was at a conference.
91年的夏末,我参加了一个研讨会。
John Coates told me about a wonderful new paper of Matthias Flach, a student of his,
约翰·科茨告诉了我关于他的一位学生马蒂亚斯·弗拉赫写就的一篇精彩论文,
in which he had tackled a class number formula, in fact exactly the class number formula I needed,
其中他生成了一个类数公式,事实上正是我所需要的类数公式。
so Flach, using ideas of Kolyvagin, had made a very significant first step in actually producing the class number formula.
弗拉赫借鉴了科里瓦金的思想,他在产生类数公式的实际过程中迈出了非常具有意义的第一步。
So at that point I thought this is just what I need, this is tailor-made for the problem.
所以在那个时候我想这正是我需要的,正与那问题相契合。
I put aside completely the old approach I'd been trying and I devoted myself day and night to extending his result.
我完全将以前尝试的旧方法弃之一旁,不分昼夜地投入到拓展他研究成果的工作当中。
Andrew was almost there, but this breakthrough was risky and complicated.
安德鲁几已成功,但这个突破既冒险又复杂。
After six years of secrecy, he needed to confide in someone.
经过六年的隐密研究,他需要向某人倾诉。
January of 1993 Andrew came up to me one day at tea,
1993年1月的一天,安德鲁在喝茶时间来找我,
asked me if I could come up to his office, there was something he wanted to talk to me about.
问我能否去一趟他的办公室,在那儿他有事情要和我谈谈。
I had no idea what, what this could be.
我毫无头绪会是什么事。
Went up to his office, he closed the door.
到了他的办公室,他关上门。
He said he thought he would be able to prove Taniyama-Shimura.
他说他认为他能够证实谷山-志村猜想。
I was just amazed, this was fantastic.
我太吃惊了,这太不可思议了。