"What's inside it?" asked Wilbur."Eggs?"
“它里面都是什么啊?”威尔伯问道,“是卵吗?”
"Five hundred and fourteen of them," she replied.
“五百十四个卵。”夏洛回答说。
"Five hundred and fourteen?" said Wilbur. "You're kidding."
“五百十四?”威尔伯说,“你在开玩笑。”
"No, I'm not. I counted them.
“不,我不开玩笑。我把它们都数过了。
I got started counting so I kept on
我一直数了又数
- just to keep my mind occupied."
——只为了让我的心不闲着。”
"It's a perfectly beautiful egg sac," said Wilbur,
“这卵袋漂亮极了。”威尔伯说,
feeling as happy as though he had constructed it himself.
高兴得好象是它自己做的一般。
"Yes, it is pretty," replied Charlotte, patting the sac with her two front legs.
“不错,它是漂亮,”夏洛用它两条前腿拍拍它。
"Anyway, I can guarantee that it is strong.
“至少我可以保证它很结实。
It's made out of the toughest material I have.
它是用我最有韧性的材料做的。
It is also waterproof.
而且它还防水。
The eggs are inside and will be warm and dry."
里面又温暖又干爽。”
"Charlotte," said Wilbur dreamily, "are you really going to have five hundred and fourteen children?"
“夏洛,”威尔伯做梦似的说,“你真的要有五百十四个孩子吗?”
"If nothing happens, yes," she said.
“要是不出事,是的,”夏洛说,
"Of course, they won't show up till next spring."
“当然,它们要到来年春天才出生。”
Wilbur noticed that Charlotte's voice sounded sad.
威尔伯注意到夏洛的声音很伤感。