Yet it seems to me your life is hardly secure while she stays.
我总觉得只要她在,你就不得安宁。
Never fear — I will take care of myself.
别怕 — 我会照顾好自己的。
Is the danger you apprehended last night gone by now, sir?
你昨晚担心的危险现在没有了吗,先生?
I cannot vouch for that till Mason is out of England, nor even then.
梅森不离开英格兰,我就无法担保。甚至他走了也不行。
To live, for me, Jane, is to stand on a crater-crust which may crack and spue fire any day.
活着对我来说,简,好像是站在火山表面,哪一天地壳都可能裂开,喷出火来。
But Mr. Mason seems a man easily led.
可是梅森先生好像是容易摆布的。
Your influence, sir, is evidently potent with him.
你的影响,先生,对他明显起着作用。
He will never set you at defiance or wilfully injure you.
他决不会同你作对,或者有意伤害你。
Oh, no! Mason will not defy me, nor, knowing it, will he hurt me.
呵,不错!梅森是不会跟我作对,也不会明明知道而来伤害我。
But, unintentionally, he might in a moment, by one careless word, deprive me, if not of life, yet for ever of happiness.
不过,无意之中他可能因为一时失言,即使不会使我送命,也会断送我一生的幸福。
Tell him to be cautious, sir. Let him know what you fear, and show him how to avert the danger.
告诉他小心从事,先生。让他知道你的忧虑,指点他怎样来避开危险。
He laughed sardonically, hastily took my hand, and as hastily threw it from him.
他嘲弄地哈哈大笑起来,一下子抓住我的手,一下子又把它甩掉了。
If I could do that, simpleton, where would the danger be? Annihilated in a moment.
要是我能那样做,傻瓜,那还有什么危险可言。顷刻之间就可排除。
Ever since I have known Mason, I have only had to say to him 'Do that,' and the thing has been done.
自我认得梅森以来,我只要对他说‘那么干’,他就会那么办。
But I cannot give him orders in this case.
不过在这件事情上我可不能对他发号施令。
I cannot say 'Beware of harming me, Richard;' for it is imperative that I should keep him ignorant that harm to me is possible.
不能同他说‘当心伤着我,理查德,’因为我必须将他蒙在鼓里,使他不知道可能会伤着我。