Dialogue 1
Mark: Hi, Jingjing. I didn't get any messages from you all week. How've you been?
马克:嗨,京晶,我这一周都没有收到你的任何信息呢,最近怎么样?
Jingjing: Pretty busy, but good.
京晶:特别忙,还好。
Mark: Alright. Anything new?
马克:好吧,有啥新鲜事?
Jingjing: Hey, Mark, do you mind if point something out.
京晶:马克,你介意我说点什么吗?
Mark: Don't hold back. What's on your mind?
马克:别拘着,在想什么呢?
Jingjing: Well, I've noticed you sometimes put a smile emoticon at the end of messages on WeChat.
京晶:嗯,我注意到你有时会发微信信息的末尾放一个笑脸的表情符号。
Mark: Yeah, so?
马克:对啊,所以呢?
Jingjing: Well, it's not the joyful smile. So, I sometimes feel a little nonplussed at the end of a conversation I've had with you over text.
京晶:那个,不是愉快的笑脸啦。所以,我有的时候会在跟你用文字信息交流的末尾有一点不知所措。
Mark: Wow, I didn't know a smile could do all that. But, if it's something you can point out to me—here, I've got the regular set of emojis up on my phone.
马克:哇哦,我不知道一个笑脸还可以有这般能耐。但是,如果有些是你可以指给我看看的,这儿,我手机有那些常态的表情符号。
Jingjing: I mean this one, with the plain smile and the open eyes.
京晶:我就是说的这一个,简单的笑容,睁开的眼睛。
Mark: This first one?
京晶:这第一个吗?
Jingjing: Yeah, see how the eyes look the same as with the grimace, the frown, and the wave goodbye?
京晶:对呢,看这眼睛看上去跟做鬼脸,皱眉头,和挥手再见是多么一样。
Mark: Oh yeah, they're all the same eyes. To me, that classic smile—the one you don't like—just means milder emotion. But you recommend I use the joyful smile, the laugh, or the grin to express real happiness, right? Oh, crap!
马克:还真是呢,都是一样的眼睛。对我来说,那个经典的笑容——你不喜欢的那个——就只意味着更温和一些的情绪表达。但是你建议我用那个愉悦的笑脸,或者大笑,或者露齿笑来表达真正的快乐,对吗?噢,糟了
Jingjing: Yeah, exactly. Huh? What happened?
京晶:对啊,就是这意思。怎么了?
Mark: You know how we had the emoji menu up on my phone? I just sent the emojis we were talking about to someone from an hour-old chat: classic smile, grimace, frown, and wave goodbye. I hope it's not too late to recall the message.
马克:你知道我们手机上不是有表情符号菜单吗,我刚把我们刚才说的那几个表情: 经典笑脸,鬼脸,皱眉,挥手,发给一小时之前聊天的联系人了。希望现在撤回消息还来得及。
Jingjing: I'll leave you to it while I get back to work. Good luck.
京晶:你先弄吧,我回去工作了,顺利哦!
New words: 习语短语
point something out 指出别人的(问题)通常对方可能不太爱听
explain something to a person that they might not like hearing
hold back 抑制、阻碍
avoid saying too much
What's on your mind? 你在想什么?
What are you thinking?
emoticon 表情符号
a simple symbol to show emotion, such as a smiley face
nonplussed 不知所措的
unexcited, uninspired, not strongly affected by something that has happened or has been said
grimace 鬼脸
a facial expression (also one of the standard emoticons) to show discomfort
crap (口语)完了,坏了!搞砸了
an expletive used when something bad and surprising has happened, alternately it can be used to describe junk ("Who put all this crap on my desk?")
emojis 视觉情感符号,表情符号
a larger set of emoticons, symbols and simple pictures of objects such as birthday cakes, apples, and hand signals
recall 撤回
take back, especially through a formal procedure
leave you to it 让你自己处理某事
let you do something yourself
Dialogue 2
Mark sees Jingjing next time.
马克又和京晶见面了
Mark: Well, my friend on WeChat got weirded out by those emojis I sent. So, I had to explain it.
马克:我微信的朋友已经被我发的那些表情弄晕了,所以我不得不解释。
Jingjing: Everything's ok now, right?
京晶:一切还好吧?
Mark: Yeah, but I didn't have anything new to say to that guy. So, I just ended it with, "let's go for a beer sometime" and sent him a sticker. Have you seen this set of stickers?
马克:嗯。但是我又没什么别的话要对那个人说,所以,我就以“找时间一起去喝一杯吧”结尾了,然后给他发了一个表情包,你看过这组表情包吗?
Jingjing: Oh, yeah, those are cute.
京晶:知道呢,特别可爱。
Mark: I stick with some of my chat groups just to collect stickers.
马克:我待在我的一些聊天群里不退就是为了搜集表情包。
Jingjing: Don't you have something to contribute to those groups?
京晶:那你就没有贡献过什么给这些群吗?
Mark: Sometimes, when someone asks a question that not so many other people can answer.
马克:有人问了个问题,不是太多人能回答的时候吧。(我就来回答)
Jingjing: But the other times, you just grab stickers.
京晶:但是有些时候,你只是抓过来表情包。
Mark: And funny videos, cute pictures—that kind of stuff: social media fluff.
马克:还有好笑的视频,可爱的图片—类似那些东西,社交媒体上的那些意义不太大的东西。
Jingjing: Hmm. How about you show me your collection. You might have something I don't have.
京晶:你给我看看你搜集的怎么样?你也许有我没有的。
Mark: Most of the same stuff keeps going around. I've got to go now, though.
马克:大多数这些一样的东西都是来来回回的发。不过,我得走了。
Jingjing: OK, maybe next time.
京晶:好吧,也许下次吧。
Mark: Well, I'll send you some in a little while. Then you could just save the ones you like.
马克:这样,我一会儿给你发一些,你喜欢哪些就自己存下。
Jingjing: Thanks in advance for that. See you later.
京晶:提前谢谢你喽,回见!
New words: 习语短语
weirded out 感觉奇怪,糊涂
feeling strange and uncomfortable as a result of something that has happened or been said
fluff 无价值之物
content published or broadcast on social media that does not have useful information, but is likely to be cute
going around 来回,循环
circulating, being passed from one person to another (for example, in autumn, the common cold is going around)