Hi there! You're just in time!
嗨,这里!你来得真及时!
Squeaks and I are hoping to discover some amazing things today!
我和吱吱希望今天能发现一些令人惊奇的事情!
We have three rocks that we think are geodes!
我们有三种岩石,认为它们都是晶洞!
Have you ever seen a geode?
你看过晶洞吗?
Geodes are rocks that look like regular rocks on the outside,
晶洞是一种岩石,外表和普通岩石一样,
but inside they're filled with beautiful crystals!
但里面有美丽的水晶!
Finding one is exciting, because it can take geodes thousands or even millions of years to form.
找到一颗晶洞很让人兴奋,因为它是几千年甚至几百万年形成的产物。
They start out as rocks that form with empty spaces inside.
它们开始的形式是内空的岩石。
Sometimes there's an empty space because of bubbles of gas inside the rock,
它们有的里面中空是因为岩石里有气泡,
especially if the rock comes from a volcano.
尤其是火山岩更是如此。
Other times, there used to be something like a tree root inside the rock,
也有的是因为过去岩石里有树根类的东西,
but it broke down over time and left an opening in the rock.
但随着时间的推移,树根折了,在岩石上留下了一个缺口。
Then, water from rain or rivers can get into that empty space, and over time, the water leaves behind minerals.
然后,雨水或河水进入那个空隙,随着时间的推移,水会留下矿物。
A mineral is a kind of natural material that isn't alive, like a crystal!
矿物是一种没有生命的天然物质,就像晶体一样!
There are tiny bits of minerals in water,
水里有微量的矿物,
and those little pieces get left behind as water flows through the empty space in the rock.
当水流穿过岩石的空隙时,这些微量的矿物就会留下。
And if that happens enough over a very long time, the minerals start to build onto each other and form crystals.
如果这种情况持续很长一段时间,矿物就会相互作用形成晶体。
So the bigger the crystals inside a geode are, the older the geode is.
因此,晶洞中的晶体越大,晶洞就越久远。
Our geodes look pretty small, so if there are crystals inside them, they're probably be small too.
我们的晶洞看起来很小,如果里面有晶体,可能也很小。
What do you think, Squeaks?
吱吱,你怎么看?
You're right, there's only one way to find out! Let's break these open!
你说得对,只有一种方法能找出答案。让我们砸开它!
If you want to try this at home,
如果你想在家里尝试这样做,
you can collect geodes from certain places where there are lots of them, called geode beds.
你可以从特定的地方,如有很多晶洞的晶洞床里,收集晶洞。
Or you can buy special kits with geodes in them.
或许你也可以购买带有晶洞的特殊装备。
Once you have your geodes, make sure you have a grownup to help you break them open.
一旦你获得了晶洞,要在大人的陪同下砸开它。
You'll need a hammer, safety glasses or goggles, and a safe place to break open your geodes.
你需要一把锤子、安全眼镜或护目镜,还要有一个可以砸开晶洞的安全地方。
Squeaks and I are going to go outside and break ours open on the sidewalk.
我和吱吱准备去外面,在人行道上砸开我们的晶洞。
Be patient with this part if you're doing it at home.
你在家里这样做时要有耐心。
Because it might take a little while. Are you ready, Squeaks?
因为它可能需要一会儿。吱吱,你准备好了吗?
Let's go outside.
我们去外面吧!
First, put on your safety glasses.
首先,带上你的安全镜。
We're going to leave ours like this so you can see it break open.
我们这样分开晶洞,这样你就能看到它砸开了。
You'll want to hit the geode with the pointed back part of the hammer,
你用锤子的尖端砸晶洞,
so that you break the rock in half instead of just smashing it to bits.
你就会把石头分成两半,而不是把它砸碎。
It might take a few small hits. Oh,There it goes!
可能要轻轻砸几下,哦,砸开了!
Is it a geode? Ooh look, there they are!
它是晶洞吗?看,这里有!
You can see the crystals inside have formed.
你可以看到里面形成的晶体。
Let's smash the other ones and see what's inside!
让我们把其他的也砸开,看看里面有什么!
Oh, look! There have bigger crystals, so this geode must have been able to collect minerals longer than the other ones.
噢,瞧!这里有大晶体,这个晶洞一定比其他晶洞收集矿物的时间长。
Alright, let's try this last one.
好了,我们试试最后一个。
I'm getting go ahead use the flat side of the hammer and see what happens.
我要继续使用锤子的平面,看看会发生什么。
Oh man, it smashed it to bits!
哦,伙计,锤子把它砸碎了!
So if you're going to use the flat side, be careful!
所以你准备用平面时,要小心了!
There's so much fun, Squeaks?
吱吱,这很有趣是吧.
Where should we put our pretty new geodes?
我们要把这些漂亮的新晶洞放哪里?
That's a great idea. We'll put them on the bookshelf in our library.
好主意!我们把它们放在图书馆的书架上!
Thanks for learning about geodes with us!
感谢您与我们一起了解晶洞!
We want to also thank Google Making Science for helping us make this video about these awesome rock formations.
我们也要感谢“Google Making Science”帮助我们制作这段很棒的岩石形成视频。
If you break open your own geodes, send us a picture to kids@scishow.com
如果你砸开了你的晶石,把图片发送至kids@scishow.com给我们看看吧。
Thanks and we'll see you next time. Here at the fort!
感谢您的收看,我们下期见。沃斯堡等你哦!