One of my favorite things to learn about is my own body!
我最喜欢了解的一样东西就是自己的身体!
And the other day, I was looking in the mirror while I was washing my hands,
有一天,我在洗手时照镜子,
and I started thinking about the freckles that I have on my face.
开始思考脸上雀斑的问题。
You might have freckles, too, little tan or light brown spots on your skin.
你可能也有雀斑,即你皮肤上的小茶色或浅棕色斑点。
They might be on your face, like mine are, or they might be on your shoulders, arms, or other places!
它们可能在你脸上,就像我一样,也可能在你的肩膀、胳膊或其他位置!
Sometimes the spots kind of run together and make larger patches of color.
有时斑点会聚集在一起,形成更大的色块。
I like my freckles. They're part of what makes me, well...me!
我喜欢我的雀斑。它们是我的一部分!
But I've noticed that some of my friends have no freckles at all!
但我注意到我的一些朋友根本没有雀斑!
No, Squeaks, you don't have any!
不,吱吱,你没有雀斑!
So why do I have them and others don't?
所以,为什么我有,他们却没有呢?
The freckles on my skin are made of something called melanin, which gives our hair, eyes, and skin their color.
我皮肤上的雀斑是由黑色素构成的,它决定着我们头发、眼睛和皮肤的颜色。
If you have lighter skin, then your skin makes less melanin.
如果你肤色较浅,那么你皮肤制造的黑色素就少。
And if you have darker skin, then your skin makes more melanin.
如果你肤色较深,那么你皮肤制造的黑色素就多。
But melanin does more than just give our skin its color! It has another important job to do.
但是黑色素不仅仅赋予我们皮肤颜色!它还有其它的重要工作。
The melanin in our skin catches and soaks up some of the light that comes from the sun.
我们皮肤中的黑色素捕捉并吸收一些太阳光。
It's a good thing, because if we get too much of the sun on our skin, it can damage, or hurt our skin, making it red and sore.
这是好事,因为如果太多的阳光晒在我们皮肤上,会损害或伤害皮肤,使它变得又红又痛。
Right, Squeaks! Melanin helps to keep our skin from getting a sunburn.
吱吱,你说得对!黑色素能防止我们的皮肤晒伤。
When you're out in the sun for a while, your skin starts to make more melanin to try and keep you from getting a sunburn.
你在太阳下待一会儿,皮肤就开始制造更多的黑色素,试图防止皮肤晒伤。
Since melanin is kind of brown or tan in color, you get tanned after you spend time in the sun.
因为黑色素是浅棕色或茶色的,你在太阳下晒会儿就会变黑。
And it's that same brownish melanin that causes some of us to get freckles.
这些相同的浅棕黑色素导致我们中的一些人得了雀斑。
When you're out in the sun, the sunlight causes your skin to make melanin.
当你在太阳底下时,阳光会使你的皮肤产生黑色素。
But in some people, small spots on their skin make more melanin than other parts of their skin.
但有些人皮肤上的小斑点比其他部分产生了更多的黑色素。
The parts that make more melanin turn darker than other parts.
产生黑色素更多的部分会比其他部分更黑。
And each darker part is what we call a freckle.
每块更黑的部分,我们都称之为雀斑。
So I have freckles because some parts of my skin make more melanin.
所以,我有雀斑是因为皮肤的某些部分产生了更多的黑色素。
And it takes sunlight to really make freckles show up!
它吸收阳光使雀斑显露了出来!
That's why babies usually aren't born with freckles, they get more of them as they grow up and spend time in the sun.
这就是为什么宝宝们通常出生时没有雀斑,但随着他们长大,在阳光下生活就会有雀斑了。
Now, not all of the kinds of spots you can get on your skin are freckles.
并非你皮肤上所有种类的斑点都是雀斑。
If a spot doesn't change much after you've spent a lot of time in the sun, it's probably not a freckle.
如果你在阳光下待了很长一段时间后,你的斑点没有发生太大变化,它可能就不是雀斑。
But why doesn't everybody have freckles?
但为什么不是人人都有雀斑呢?
Well, if you have lighter skin and eyes, like I do, then you're more likely to get freckles than someone who has darker skin and eyes.
如果你像我一样,皮肤和眼睛的颜色都较浅,你就比那些皮肤和眼睛都较深的人更容易得雀斑。
And if one or both of your parents have freckles,
如果你的父母有一个或全都有雀斑,
then you're more likely to get freckles than someone whose parents don't have freckles.
那么你比那些父母没雀斑的人更有可能得雀斑。
But people with darker skin and eyes can still get freckles, and so can people whose parents don't have freckles!
但皮肤和眼睛都较深的人可能会得雀斑,父母没雀斑的人也会得。
Some animals can get freckles, too, like dogs and cats.
有些动物如猫狗也有斑点。
But most animals don't, even ones that have other kinds of spots all over their skin.
但大多数动物都没有,有的皮肤上有其他斑点。
One of the coolest things about freckles is that they can change.
雀斑最厉害的一点是它们可以改变。
For example, in the winter, or other times when we're not spending lots of time in sun, freckles can fade, or get lighter.
例如在冬天或其他时候,我们在太阳下的时间短,雀斑就会消退或者变轻。
Eventually, they can totally disappear!
最终可能完全消失!
And freckles can change as we get older.
雀斑也会随我们变老而改变。
Kids, teenagers, and younger adults tend to have more freckles than older adults.
儿童、青少年和年轻人的雀斑比老年人就多。
But if you do have freckles, now you know a little bit more about one of the things that makes you...you!
但如果你有雀斑,现在你对它有一点儿了解了吧!
Thanks for joining us!
感谢您的收看!
If you want to keep learning and having fun with Squeaks and me, hit the subscribe button,
如果你想继续学习,与我和吱吱一起共度美好时光,就点击订阅键吧,
and we'll see you next time, here at the Fort!
我们下期见,沃斯堡等你哦!