What I think it comes to is this: Al Gore spoke the other night about ecology and the revolution that was triggered by Rachel Carson.
现在,我想说的是:AL Gore曾在这里做过一次演讲,内容是关于生态学以及Rachel Carson引发的那次环境保护运动。
I believe our only hope for the future is to adopt a new conception of human ecology,
我相信对于未来,我们的唯一出路是贯彻一种新的人性化生态的思想,
one in which we start to reconstitute our conception of the richness of human capacity.
也就是说我们应重新定义人类能力的多样化。
Our education system has mined our minds in the way that we strip-mine the earth: for a particular commodity.
我们的教育体系培养我们的方式,正如我们开采地球的方式,以功利为目的。
And for the future, it won't serve us.
但这种方式对于未来将不再适用。
We have to rethink the fundamental principles on which we're educating our children.
我们必须重新思考那些最基本的准则,也就是我们教育孩子的准则。
There was a wonderful quote by Jonas Salk, who said,
Jonas Salk曾说过:
"If all the insects were to disappear from the Earth, within 50 years all life on Earth would end.
“如果所有的昆虫都从地球上消失的话,那么50年之内,所有生命也将从地球上消失。
If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish." And he's right.
而如果人类从地球上消失的话,那么50年之内,其他物种会活得更好。”他说的很对。
What TED celebrates is the gift of the human imagination.
TED倡导的是人类的创造性思维。
We have to be careful now that we use this gift wisely and that we avert some of the scenarios that we've talked about.
现在,我们必须运用这种思维方式小心地避开那些按部就班的规则。
And the only way we'll do it is by seeing our creative capacities for the richness they are
达到这个目的唯一的方法,就是运用创造力,最大限度地发挥创造力,
and seeing our children for the hope that they are.
而且用孩子们喜欢的方式培养他们。
And our task is to educate their whole being, so they can face this future.
我们的任务是全方位地培养孩子,这样他们才能面对未来的社会。
By the way -- we may not see this future, but they will.
顺便说句,我们可能活不到未来那天,但孩子们会。
And our job is to help them make something of it. Thank you very much.
而我们要做的就是帮助他们能在未来有所作为。谢谢大家。