The most recognizable thing in the sky, is obviously the silhouette of the Spitfire.
空中最显眼的当然是喷火战斗机的轮廓
She's just a beautiful lady, I assure a lot of men would like to actually marry her.
喷火战斗机简直就是一位漂亮的淑女,我敢肯定,很多男人都想娶她
I'm sure their wives wouldn't agree.
我也敢肯定,男人们的妻子肯定都不会同意
There's 396 parts in the Spitfire seat, how do I know that? I built it.
喷火战斗机座驾有396个零部件,我怎么知道?因为它是我造的
This is Martin Phillips.
这位是马丁·菲利普斯
My name is Martin Phillips, and I am sitting next to my Spitfire RR232 which I'm the proud owner of.
我是马丁·菲利普斯,现在我旁边是我的RR232喷火战斗机,为此我感到非常自豪
Martin is obsessed with Spitfires.
马丁对喷火战斗机的热爱到了痴迷的程度
The big bombers join in pounding the shoreline.
大型轰炸机也加入进来,开始对海岸线进行狂轰滥炸
In the darkest days of World War II, Spitfires filled the skies above England.
在二战的黑暗岁月里,喷火战斗机充斥着英国的天空
They are an icon, like freedom on wings.
它们成了一种标志,犹如飞翔的自由
British kids make models of them.
英国的小孩制作战斗机的模型。
But Martin took his Spitfire devotion to a whole other level.
但马丁把自己在喷火战斗机上的投入发展到了一个全新的高度
For his 40th birthday, Martin's friends gave him a single Spitfire rivet.
40岁生日的时候,朋友送了马丁一个喷火战斗机的铆钉
When I was presented with this rivet, the challenge was to go and build myself a Spitfire,
当我收到这个铆钉的时候,我开始面临着自己造一个喷火战斗机的挑战
so on the spar of the moment, not thinking, I said, “Why, I'll go out on a Monday morning and I will build a Spitfire.”
在那一刻,我想也没想就说,“哎,我准备周一开始造自己的战斗机了”
I never thought that over a period of 14 years, I'd had probably wear three cars out with mileage,
接下来的14年我都没仔细考虑过这回事,我开废了三台车
along the journey to provide all the parts that you now see today.
才找到今天你看到的所有这些零件
The fuel tanks, they came from Norway and Sweden.
燃料箱来自挪威和瑞典
Some of the other parts came from Russia, some of the parts came from Israel,
其他部分零件来自俄罗斯,有一些来自以色列
some of the other parts came from Holland, came from France.
其他一些来自荷兰、法国
One of the wings was offered to us through a lost property department.
有一个机翼是失物招领处送我们的
And another wing came from a little guy coming into work.
另一个机翼是来这儿工作的一个小伙子带来的
He said, “I got a Spitfire wing in my garden.”
他说,“我花园里有一个机翼”
The man hours that go into a project like this, don't underestimate it, they are terrific
他花了好几个小时才把它弄好,不要小看它,这是非常艰难的
and I know the blood, sweat and tears that went into that.
我知道这里面隐含了多少汗水,多少血泪
After 14 years, I know the questions you're gonna ask me, “Do you fly it?”
14年的时间过去了,我知道你肯定会问我,“那你会不会开?”
Sadly, not.
很可惜,不会
I am learning to fly and I hope, one day to fly it,
我正在学习驾驶战斗机,希望有一天我可以驾驶它,
but greater guys than me fly it.
但现在驾驶它的是比我更优秀的人
My name's Matt Jones, I'm a Spitfire pilot.
我是马特·琼斯,我是喷火战斗机飞行员
The modern airliners fly 85% the speed of sound,
现代客机飞行的速度是音速的85%
they've got Spitfires flying at 96, 97% the speed of sound.
而现代喷火战斗机飞行的速度可达到音速的96, 97%
You don't get in a Spitfire, you strap it on and it becomes a part of you.
你不是在战斗机里面,而是把它绑在了你身上,让它成为你的一部分
Because the airplane means so much to so many people,
飞机对很多人而言都有重大的意义
there are a lot of people who have gone down Martin's path and started thinking they wanna build a Spitfire.
很多人都跟马丁一样,想要自己造一架战斗机
But I've never met anyone else whose completed it.
但我从未见过有人真正造出来
He dedicated his life to finding the parts he needed to get this airplane flying again.
为了让这个战斗机重返天空,马丁耗尽了一生的时间去找这些零件
I went through these 14 years, had heartache when bits didn't fit.
我找这些零件找了14年,有时候因为零件不匹配,心脏病都犯过
Just putting it together and finishing it,
我只想把它们组装起来,完成它,
and the providence and the journey, the journey I went on, you know, tears.
中间冒的险,走的路,我走的路,你知道的,都是眼泪铺成的
Even today, I cry when it runs.
即使是今天,它飞行的时候我还是会流泪
It's just been amazing, absolutely amazing.
这个过程很不简单,相当不简单