What potions have I drunk of Siren tears,
曾喝过几多诱人入险境的泪珠,
Distill'd from limbecks foul as hell within,
它们像是从地狱般的蒸锅里蒸出——
Applying fears to hopes and hopes to fears,
使我把恐怖当救星,用希望医治恐怖,
Still losing when I saw myself to win!
眼看胜利在望,却总是败绩中途!
What wretched errors hath my heart committed,
我的心在自以为最最幸福的时光
Whilst it hath thought itself so blessed never!
却往往铸下不堪再提的错误!
How have mine eyes out of their spheres been fitted
我曾经这样地病狂到头脑昏昏,
In the distraction of this madding fever!
我的双眼几乎要夺眶而出!
O benefit of ill! now I find true
哦,这就是恶的利端,我终于知道,
That better is by evil still made better;
美好者可以因恶而更加美名昭著;
And ruin'd love, when it is built anew,
碎了的爱有朝一日破镜重圆,
Grows fairer than at first, more strong, far greater.
还可以比从前更美更强烈更突出。
So I return rebuked to my content
所以我虽受谴责反而志得意满,
And gain by ill thrice more than I have spent.
由于恶我反倒可以三倍地因祸得福。