I am an immigrant in this country. I came 25 years ago.
我是移民到这个国家的,25年前就来了这里
The country has moved from a place where I was somebody that stood out to somebody that in a strange way blends in with what is around.
开始我只是这个国家的一个外人,而现在已经以一种奇怪的方式融入到周围的环境中
I know that that is not something that I can or should take for granted.
我知道 我不能也不应该把它当做理所当然
My life has always been filled with a diversity of people and experiences, perspectives.
我在一生中总是遇到各种各样的人,有的人阅历丰富 有的人很有想法
And it's hard to imagine a company like Google
很难想象 像谷歌一样的公司
or a society like ours being successful without being inclusive of all that perspective.
或者像这样成功的社会,没有那些有想法的人会是怎样
When we're building Google Maps, we're really looking at how do we help people in the everyday moments of their life.
我们在设计谷歌地图时,确实在想着要怎样,在人们的日常生活中时刻帮助他们
And so having people around the table when we're designing the product
所以我们在一起设计这个项目时
who've had different life experiences, who come from different types of neighborhoods,from different places in the world
那些有着不同生活经验的人,来自不同社区的人,来自世界各个角落的人
really makes a difference in helping us think about how do we help as many people as possible.
确实在想法上做了很多贡献,让我们思考怎样尽量帮助更多人
One of the first things that Google did to try and decide
其中的第一件事谷歌决定尝试做的
what it needed to solve in terms of diversity was understanding what did its workforce look like and whether it could actually be more diverse.
即它需要什么才能创造多元化,就是要了解谷歌的员工是怎样的人,以及这是否还能更加多元化
And we shared that data both with Googlers as well as with the public
我们把那些数据与谷歌工作者共享,也与公众共享
so that we could be held accountable for the fact that we didn't look like we wanted to
为的就是我们能对,我们不愿意看到的事负责
So many of our efforts now are built around increasing that representation of diversity at Google.
所以我们现在做的大多数努力都致力于增加谷歌的多元化的表现形式
This is hard work. If you look at the problems that we'd like to solve as an industry, they also reflect the problems of our society.
这份工作很艰难,你看看那些我们想要解决的行业问题,它们也反映了一些社会问题
And it's so important that we do the work, even when it's tough,
即使这份工作很难 重要的是我们要去做
and that we're committed to the long-term result.
并且长期致力于解决这个问题
Having that tone from our senior leaders — which is, we want to be able to pull up the greatest talent we have around the organization and make it really clear,
我们高层领导人的语气来说,就是我们希望能够发挥组织的最大才能,让一切变得清晰明了
we want to see more women in senior leadership positions,
我们希望看到高层领导人里有更多女性
we want to see more people from underrepresented groups,
有更多来自弱势群体的人
because it makes us a better company — really, to me, is the starting point.
因为这会让我们的公司变得更好 真的对我来说 这只是一个起点
And it becomes infectious.
也会很有感染力
Once you set that tone, it becomes really clear.
一旦你奠定了基调 一切终会清晰起来
This is a priority, because it makes sense to be a priority.
这才是重点 能分清轻重缓急也是有必要的
This isdeeply personal for me as an Latina this is deeply personal for me
作为一个拉美裔女人,这是我的切身体会,这是我自己的切身体会
as a mother of a seven-year-old daughter whose future is bright and clear ahead and my greatest expectation for her is that
作为一名7岁女儿的母亲,她前途无量 一片光明,而我对她最大的期待
she gets to find the future that she wants to have for herself
就是希望她能找到她自己想要的未来
what we are striving for is possibility we want to unlock what is unexpected
我们追求的是机遇,我们想要探索未知的世界
and you're going to get that when you bring all of these diverse perspectives together
当你把那些不同的观点拼凑到一起时,你就做到了