That's how good Marvel was at selling superheroes.
这体现了漫威是出色的英雄卖家。
Last year, they released a film called "Guardians of the Galaxy."
去年,他们发售了一部名叫《银河守护者》的影片。
It's a film that absolutely should not work.
这是一部绝不可能火的影片,
Nobody knew who they were except for comic book nerds like me.
因为除了像我这样的漫画书呆子,一般都没人听说过这些英雄。
One of the characters is a talking tree.
其中一个形象是一棵会说话的树。
One of the characters is an anthropomorphic raccoon. It should not work.
另一个形象则是一个拟人化的浣熊。这怎么想也火不了啊。
And they made a killing off of "Guardians of the Galaxy."
但他们真的就拿着《银河守护者》大赚了一笔。
This character here in the middle, her name is Gamora.
这个中间的形象,她的名字是加美拉。
She's played by Zoe Saldana, and she is strong and smart and fast and fights like a ninja,
她是由佐伊·索尔达娜扮演的,她是一个坚强,聪颖,敏捷,打斗起来和忍者一样的形象,
and she is played by a beautiful black woman, and my daughter fell in love with her.
由一位美丽的黑人女性扮演,我的女儿爱上了这个形象。
So like any good nerd dad, I went to buy my daughter Gamora stuff,
所以,我就像一般的好爸爸那样,去给女儿买加美拉的周边商品。
and when I got to the store, I learned a very interesting thing.
当我到了商店,我得知了一件十分有趣的事情。
If I wanted to buy her a Gamora backpack, well, Gamora's not on it.
如果我想给她买一个加美拉书包,上面是没有加美拉的。
They probably should have marketed this as "some" of the Guardians of the Galaxy.
也许他们在打标牌的时候,应该标成《银河守护者》中的“某些人”。
And if I wanted to buy her a lunchbox, she wasn't on it,
如果我想给她买个午饭袋,加美拉也不在上面。
and if I wanted to buy her a t-shirt, she wasn't on it.
T恤也是一样的。
And as a matter of fact, if I went to the store, as I did, and looked at the display,
事实上,如果我去商店,我确实去看过了,会看到在展品区,
you would find a small picture of Gamora right here,
有一个加美拉的小照片在这儿。
but if you look at any of the actual merchandise on that shelf, Gamora is not on any of it.
但当你仔细看架子上的商品实物时,你会发现加美拉没有出现在任何商品上。