My fellow Americans,
我的美国同胞们,
This week, in the company of astronauts, I was honored to sign the NASA Transition Authorization Act right into law.
本周,在宇航员们的陪伴下,我很荣幸签署NASA过渡授权法案成为法律。
With this legislation, we renew our national commitment to NASA'S mission of exploration and discovery.
在这一法律框架下,我们重申对NASA探索和发现使命的承诺。
And We continue a tradition that is as old as mankind.
我们继续着人类自古以来的传统。
We look to the heavens with wonder and curiosity.
我们面对天空仍然充满着怀疑和好奇。
More than two decades ago, one scientist followed his curiosity and dramatically changed our understanding of the universe.
20多年前,一个科学家带着他的好奇,戏剧性地改变了我们对宇宙的理解。
The year was 1995. Taxpayers were spending billions and billions of dollars on NASA's Hubble Space Telescope.
那是在1995年。纳税人在NASA的哈勃太空望远镜上花了几十亿几十亿的资金。
The astronomer in charge had a novel idea.
负责望远镜的天文学家有了新点子。
He wanted to use the expensive telescope in a totally unconventional way.
他想用完全非传统的方式来使用这昂贵的天文望远镜。
Instead of pointing Hubble's eye at nearby stars or distant formations, Robert Williams wanted to peer into the void.
让哈勃不再盯着附近的星球或者遥远的星系,罗伯特.威廉姆斯要进入虚空世界。
He aimed the massive telescope at one of the emptiest regions of the night sky.
他将大量的望远镜瞄准夜空中最空旷的地方。