Dialogue 1
Jingjing: Mark, I've been thinking... I think it's time we blow away the cobwebs and redecorate our house!
京晶:马克,我最近在想……我觉得是时候我们该除旧迎新,重新装修我们的房子啦!
Mark: I knew you had something up your sleeve! No wonder the past couple of weeks you've been wanting to come with me to the hardware store! I don't know Jingjing, what do you have in mind?
马克:我就知道你心里在打着小算盘!难怪在过去的几周,你一直想和我一起去五金店!我不知道,京晶,你有什么想法?
Jingjing: Well, I really wanted to repaint the walls in the den. I think a bright orange would breathe new life into that room. It's been so dark and gloomy the past few years.
京晶:嗯,我真的很想重新粉刷一下客厅。我觉得亮橙色会给房间注入新的生命。过去几年这间屋子一直太晦暗了。
Mark: Bright orange?! You have got to be kidding me? If we're redecorating our house, you are not going near the den! That's where me and my boys watch football every weekend. The hell you're gonna paint it bright orange!
马克:亮橙色?!你在开玩笑吧?如果我们要重新装修房子,决不许你碰客厅!这是我和哥们儿周末看足球的地方。不许你把它刷成橙色!
Jingjing: Why not? You're not the only one who brings home the bacon you know? I have a say in this too!
京晶:为什么不呢?你又不是唯一一个赚钱养家的人,我也有发言权!
Mark: You're right...But I'm really not sure about bright orange walls...
马克:你说的没错。但是我真的对亮橙色的墙没把握
jingjing: You just have to trust me. Besides, women are naturally gifted at decorating houses!
京晶:你一定要相信我。况且,女人天生就擅长装饰房子!
Mark: Hmm... Alright, I tell you what, let's go to the hardware store and we will both decorate the house, okay?
马克:嗯……好吧,这样吧,我们去五金店,我们一起来装修房子,好吗?
Jingjing: Okay, let's go!
京晶:好,我们走吧!
New words: 习语短语
blow away the cobwebs=除旧迎新,做一些在很长一段时间内没做过的事
have something up one's sleeve=有一个秘密的计划或打算做些什么,心里在打着什么小算盘
no wonder=怪不得
What do you have in mind?=你打算怎么做呢?
den=舒适的房间, 用于放松的房子,通常被称为“家庭房”或“客厅”
breathe new life into something=给某事注入新的生命
my boys=我的男性朋友,哥们儿
bring home the bacon=养家;赚钱;谋生
have a say=决定,有发言权
Dialogue 2
Jingjing and Mark arrive back at home after buying things to decorate the house.
京晶和马克买完装饰房子的东西后回到家里。
Jingjing: I'm so excited! It's time to shake things up and make our home more beautiful.
京晶:我太兴奋了!是时候好好改造一番,让我们的家变得更漂亮啦。
Mark: After we're done redecorating, it better look more beautiful! After all, we just spent megabucks at the store.
马克:最好是这样!毕竟我们刚刚可是在商店花了血本的。
Jingjing: Out with the old, in with the new! Let's first put up the new pictures that we bought!
京晶:旧的扔掉,换上新的!咱们先把新买的画挂起来吧!
Mark: Okay, and after that we can start painting the kitchen.
马克:好吧,之后我们就可以开始粉刷厨房了。
Jingjing: Wait! Don't we have to move the refrigerator before we can paint the kitchen?
京晶:等等!难道我们不需要先把冰箱移走,再粉刷厨房吗?
Mark: We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. For now, let's just hang up these pictures.
马克:船到桥头自然直。现在咱们先把新买的画挂起来吧。
Jingjing: Okay. Also, you can help me put up these new flower pots on the fireplace. I bought two of them, aren't they lovely?
京晶:好吧。另外,你还可以帮我把这些新花盆摆在壁炉上。我买了两个,是不是很漂亮?
Mark: You bought two?! Why did you do that? One wasn't enough?
马克:你买了两个?!为什么要买两个?一个不够吗?
Jingjing: Well, if we have two then our house will seem more balanced. Come on, you know it's important for us Chinese to decorate our home with feng shui.
京晶:有两个的话,我们的房子会看起来更加平衡。你知道的,我们中国人装饰家里的时候很讲究风水。
Mark: And then you can help me drill some holes in the bathroom. I want to install some new light fixtures.
马克:之后你可以帮我在浴室里钻几个洞。我想安装一些新的灯具。
Jingjing: Drill holes? How am I supposed to do that?
京晶:钻孔?怎么做呢?
Mark: With my electric drill!
马克:用我的电钻!
Jingjing: I don't know... I think those things have a learning curve. I'm not sure I can do it.
京晶:我不知道……我觉得这些东西需要一个学习过程。我不知道我能否做到这一点。
Mark: Oh, come on! There's nothing to it. Even my grandmother can drill a few holes in a wall!
马克:哦,不用!其实特别简单。连我的祖母都可以在墙上钻几个洞!
Jingjing: Okay, whatever. Let's just get started. Here, help me lift this picture.
京晶:好吧,先不管了。我们开始吧。来,帮我把这张画举上去。
New words: 习语短语
shake things up=做不同的事情;改变
megabucks=很多钱
Out with the old, in with the new.=旧的不去新的不来。
Cross that bridge when you come to it.=船到桥头自然直。
a learning curve=一个学习周期,指要擅长做某事需要时间
There's nothing to it.=没什么不可以,很容易。