Chief Justice Roberts, President Carter, President Clinton, President Bush, President Obama, fellow Americans and people of the world, thank you.
首席大法官罗伯茨先生,卡特前总统,克林顿前总统,布什前总统,奥巴马前总统,各位美国同胞,世界人民,感谢你们。
We, the citizens of America, are now joined in a great national effort to rebuild our country and restore its promise for all of our people.
各位美国公民们,我们正参与到一项伟大的全国性事业当中:重建我们的国家,重塑对全体人民的承诺。
Together we will determine the course of America and the world for many, many years to come.
我们将一起决定未来很多年内美国乃至全世界的道路。
We will face challenges.
我们将遭遇挑战。
We will confront hardships.
我们会遇到困难。
But we will get the job done.
但是我们能将这项事业完成。
Every four years, we gather on these steps to carry out the orderly and peaceful transfer of power.
每过四年,我们都相聚在这里进行有序和平的权力交接。
And we are grateful to President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama for their gracious aid throughout this transition.
我们应该感谢总统奥巴马和第一夫人米歇尔·奥巴马,他们在权力交接中,慷慨地给予我以帮助。
They have been magnificent. Thank you.
他们真的很棒。谢谢你们。
Today's ceremony, however, has very special meaning.
今天的就职典礼有着特殊的意义。
Because today, we are not merely transferring power from one administration to another or from one party to another.
因为,今天,我们不只是将权力由一任总统交接到下一任总统,由一个政党交接给另一政党。
But we are transferring power from Washington D.C. and giving it back to you, the people.
今天我们是将权力由华盛顿交接到了人民的手中,即你们的手中。
For too long, a small group in our nation's capital has reaped the rewards of government while the people have borne the cost.
长久以来,华盛顿的一小群人攫取了利益果实,代价却要由人民来承受。