Godfrey was impatient to explain why they had come.
戈弗雷急着向西拉斯解释今天的来意。
'Yes, you've done well these last sixteen years, Marner, taking care of Eppie here.
"是的,马南,你这16年来对埃比照顾得非常好,
She looks pretty and healthy, but not very strong.
她又漂亮又健康,只是不太强壮。
Don't you think she should be a lady, not a working woman?
你难道不觉得她应该成为一个淑女而不是个整天干活的人吗?
Now Mrs. Cass and I, you know;have no children,
你知道凯斯太太和我没有孩子,
and we'd like to adopt a daughter to live with us in our beautiful home and enjoy all the good things we're used to.
我们想收养个女儿,让她和我们生活在一起,住漂亮的房子,享受所有的好东西。
In fact, we'd like to have Eppie.
实际上我们想收养埃比,
I'm sure you'd be glad to see her become a lady, and of course we'd make sure you have everything you need.
我想你会乐意看到埃比成为一位淑女,而且我保证给你你想要的一切,
And Eppie will come to see you very often, I expect. '
而且我想埃比也会经常回来看你的。"
Godfrey did not find it easy to say what he felt, and as a result his words were not chosen sensitively.
戈弗雷一时不知用什么词语才能表达自己的感受,结果他用词很不慎重。
Silas was hurt, and afraid.
西拉斯既气愤又害怕,
His whole body trembled as he said quietly to Eppie after a moment, 'I won't stand in your way, my child.
过了一会儿,他全身颤抖着对埃比轻声说我不会挡你的路,我的孩子。
Thank Mr. and Mrs. Cass. It's very kind of them. '
谢谢凯斯先生和太太,他们的心地很好。"
Eppie stepped forward She was blushing, but held her head high.
埃比走上前。她的脸很红,可还是努力高昂着头。