I was weak and hesitating when I was younger-I'm going to be firm with myself now. '
年轻的时候我脆弱而且优柔寡断--现在我要坚强起来。"
Nancy could not speak. She stared at her husband in horror.
南茜害怕地看着丈夫,什么也说不出。
What secret could he possibly have from her?
他会隐瞒了什么呢?
'Nancy, 'said Godfrey slowly, 'when I married you, I hid something from you-I was wrong not to tell you.
"南茜,"戈弗雷慢慢地说,"娶你的时候,我隐瞒了些东西--我很不应该不告诉你。
That woman Silas Marner found dead in the snow-Eppie's mother-that poor woman-was my wife. Eppie is my child. '
那个被西拉斯发现死在雪地上的可怜女人--埃比的妈妈--是我的妻子。埃比是我的孩子。"
He paused, looking worriedly at Nancy.
他停下来,担心地看着南茜,
But she sat quite still, although her face looked rather white.
可她仍然静静地坐着,只是脸更白了。
Perhaps you won't be able to love me any more, 'he said, his voice trembling a little.
"你也许不会再爱我了。"他的声音有些发抖。
She was silent.
她沉默着。
I was wrong, I know I was wrong to marry Molly and then to keep it a secret.
"我错了,我知道我不该娶了莫丽而又不说出来。
But I loved you, Nancy, I only ever wanted to marry you.
可我爱你,南茜,我只想娶你。"