'Sit down-Nancy, 'he said with difficulty.
"坐下--南茜,"他艰难地说,
'I came back as soon as I could, to prevent anyone telling you except me.
"我尽可能快地赶回来,我真怕别人来告诉你。
It's terrible news for me, but I'm more worried about how you will feel about it. '
这对我是个可怕的消息,可我更担心你会怎么想。"
'It isn't father or Priscilla? 'said Nancy, trying to control her trembling lips.
"是爸爸或普丽西拉吗?"南茜努力克制着嘴唇的抖动。
'No, it's nobody living, 'said Godfrey.
"不,不关活人的事儿,"戈弗雷说,
'It's Dunstan, my brother, who left home sixteen years ago and never came back.
"是我弟弟邓斯坦,他从16年前离家后一直没有回来。
We've found him…found his body-all that's left of it-in the old quarry.
我们找到他了……找到了他的尸体--所有剩下的部分--在采石场里。"
Nancy felt calmer now. That was not terrible news.
南茜平静多了,这并不是太可怕的消息。
You know the men have been draining our fields near the quarry.
"你知道我让人给我们采石场边上那几块地排水,
Well, as a result, the quarry has suddenly gone dry, and we've found him lying at the bottom.
结果采石场一下子被排干了,我们在坑底发现了他的尸体。
We know it's him because he's wearing his watch and his rings. '
我们从手表和戒指认出那是他。"
Godfrey paused. It was not easy to say what came next.
戈弗雷停了下来。要说出后面的事儿很不容易。