'And you'd like to marry him, would you? 'asked Silas.
你想嫁给他,是吗?西拉斯问。
'Yes, one day. I don't know when.
是的,有一天会的。
Aaron says everyone's married some time.
我也不知道会是哪一天。
But I told him that's not true, because you haven't ever been married, have you, daddy? '
阿荣说人总要结婚,我说那可不一定,你就没结过婚,对吧,爸爸?
'No, child, 'said Silas. 'I was a lonely man before you were sent to me. '
是的,孩子,西拉斯说,在你来到我身边之前,我一直是一个孤独的人。
'But you'll never be lonely again, father, 'said Eppie lovingly.
不过你不会再孤独了,爸爸,埃比深情地说,
'That's what Aaron said. He doesn't want to take me away from you.
阿荣也这么说,他不想把我从你身边夺走,
He wants us all to live together, and he'll do all the work,
他想我们大家生活在一起,他干所有的活儿,
and you needn't work at all, father. He'll be like a son to you. '
你不用再工作了,他会像儿子那样孝敬你。
'Well, my child, you're young to be married, 'said Silas. 'But he's a good young man.
可是,我的孩子,你太小了还不该结婚,西拉斯说,可他确实是个好小伙子。
We'll ask his mother what we should do.
咱们问问他妈妈,看看该怎么做。
She always gives us good advice.
她总能帮我们。
You see, Eppie, I'm getting older, and I'd like to think of you with a strong young husband to take care of you for the rest of your life.
你看,埃比,我老了,我也希望你有个年轻强壮的丈夫来照顾你以后的生活。
Yes, we'll ask Dolly Winthrop for her opinion. '
好吧,我们去问问多莉·温思罗普的意见。