What good am I getting out of this?
我能从其中得到什么好处?
I'm not stopping time.
我无法停止时间。
Nothing to show for my expenditures. Pure nothing.
我付出的得不到回报。
The war count, as of today:
战争造成巨大的影响:
Almost 2,000 killed in Iraq. G.I.s.
美国军人中有2000人在伊拉克丧生。
Not counting Afghanis, Iraqis, civilians, mercenaries, children, babies, journalists.
还没人计算过丧生的阿富汗人,伊拉克人,这些平民,商人,儿童,婴儿,记者的丧生人数。
Seven days before my birthday,
我生日的7天前,
I had breakfast with Mary Gordon, who's always saying things I never thought before:
和玛丽·戈登一起吃早餐,她总说一些我从未想过的事情:
"It's capitalistic of us to expect any good " from peace demonstrations,
从和平示威中期待任何的好结果是典型的资本主义幻想,
as if ritual has to have use, gain, profit."
好像这些仪式就会有用,有所裨益似的"
I agreed, "Yes, it's Buddhist to go parading for the sake of parading."
我附和着 “是的,佛教徒都是为了游行而游行。”
"Can you think of a writer (besides Chekhov) who is holy and an artist?" "Grace Paley."
“你能想到哪个作家(除了契诃夫)是思想神圣的艺术家吗?” “格蕾丝·佩利。”
She smiled. "Well, yes." Obviously. "Thoreau."
她笑了。“哦,是的,”显然的。"还有梭罗。"
"Oh, no. Thoreau's too Protestant, tidy, nonsexual.
"哦不,梭罗太清教徒了,一丝不苟,极度保守。
He goes home to Mom for hot chocolate.
他回家看妈妈,为了喝热巧克力。
No sex, no tragedy, no humour."
没有性生活,没有悲剧,也没有幽默感。"
Come to think of it, Thoreau doesn't make me laugh.
好好想一想吧,梭罗可不会让我发笑。