You see, like all networks, mycorrhizal networks have nodes and links.
你们看,就像所有的网络一样,真菌的网络中也有节点和链接。
We made this map by examining the short sequences of DNA of every tree and every fungal individual in a patch of Douglas fir forest.
我们在一片花旗松森林中的所有树和所有真菌中,提取了它们的DNA短序列,并且制作了这份遗传图。
In this picture, the circles represent the Douglas fir, or the nodes,
在这张图片上,圆圈,也就是那些节点代表花旗松,
and the lines represent the interlinking fungal highways, or the links.
直线,也就是那些链接代表着互相连接的真菌干线。
The biggest, darkest nodes are the busiest nodes.
那些最大的、颜色最深的节点就是最繁忙的、连接最多的节点。
We call those hub trees, or more fondly, mother trees,
我们把它们称作中心树,或者更亲切地称之为母树。
because it turns out that those hub trees nurture their young, the ones growing in the understory.
因为事实证明,这些中心树哺育着它们的小树,那些小树都处在林下叶层。
And if you can see those yellow dots,
如果你们看见那些黄色的点,
those are the young seedlings that have established within the network of the old mother trees.
那些就表示幼苗,这些幼苗在这个网络中已经和它们的母树建立了联系。
In a single forest, a mother tree can be connected to hundreds of other trees.
在一片森林中,一棵母树可以和其它几百棵树建立联系。
And using our isotope tracers, we have found that mother trees
通过使用同位素示踪剂进行检测,我们发现那些母树
will send their excess carbon through the mycorrhizal network to the understory seedlings,
会把它们多余的碳元素通过菌根的网络传给处在林下叶层的幼苗,
and we've associated this with increased seedling survival by four times.
我们发现这种方式可以让幼苗的存活率增加四倍。
Now, we know we all favor our own children,
现在我们都知道,我们爱自己的孩子,
and I wondered, could Douglas fir recognize its own kin, like mama grizzly and her cub?
所以我想花旗松能认出来自己的孩子吗?就像灰熊妈妈和她的熊宝宝一样?
So we set about an experiment, and we grew mother trees with kin and stranger's seedlings.
因此我们又设计了一个实验,我们把母树和它们的孩子、以及一些陌生的幼苗种在一起。
And it turns out they do recognize their kin.
事实证明它们认识它们的孩子。