Do you never laugh, Miss Eyre?
你从来没有笑过吗,爱小姐?
Don't trouble yourself to answer — I see you laugh rarely.
你不必费心来回答了 — 我知道你难得一笑。
But you can laugh very merrily.
可是你可以笑得很欢。
Believe me, you are not naturally austere, any more than I am naturally vicious.
请相信我,你不是生来严肃的,就像我不是生来可恶的。
The Lowood constraint still clings to you somewhat,
罗沃德的束缚,至今仍在你身上留下某些印迹,
controlling your features, muffling your voice, and restricting your limbs.
控制着你的神态,压抑着你的嗓音,捆绑着你的手脚,
And you fear in the presence of a man and a brother
所以你害怕在一个男人,一位兄长
or father, or master, or what you will to smile too gaily, speak too freely, or move too quickly.
或者父亲、或者主人,随你怎么说,面前开怀大笑,害怕说话太随便,害怕动作太迅速,
But, in time, I think you will learn to be natural with me,
不过到时候,我想你会学着同我自然一些的,
as I find it impossible to be conventional with you.
就像觉得要我按照陋习来对待你是不可能的。
And then your looks and movements will have more vivacity and variety than they dare offer now.
到那时,你的神态和动作会比现在所敢于流露的更富有生气、更多姿多彩。
I see at intervals the glance of a curious sort of bird through the close-set bars of a cage.
我透过木条紧固的鸟笼,不时观察着一只颇念新奇的鸟。
A vivid, restless, resolute captive is there.
笼子里是一个活跃、不安、不屈不挠的囚徒。
Were it but free, it would soar cloud-high.
一旦获得自由,它一定会高飞云端。
You are still bent on going?
你还是执意要走?
It has struck nine, sir.
己经过了九点,先生。
Never mind, wait a minute. Adèle is not ready to go to bed yet.
没有关系,等一会儿吧,阿黛勒还没有准备好上床呢,爱小姐。
My position, Miss Eyre, with my back to the fire, and my face to the room, favours observation.
我背靠炉火,面对房间,有利于观察。
While talking to you, I have also occasionally watched Adèle
跟你说话的时候,我也不时注意着她
I have my own reasons for thinking her a curious study,
我有自己的理由把她当作奇特的研究对象,
reasons that I may, nay, that I shall, impart to you some day.
这理由我某一天可以,不,我会讲给你听的。
She pulled out of her box, about ten minutes ago, a little pink silk frock.
大约十分钟之前,她从箱子里取出一件粉红色丝绸小上衣,
Rapture lit her face as she unfolded it.
打开的时候脸上充满了喜悦。
Coquetry runs in her blood, blends with her brains, and seasons the marrow of her bones.
媚俗之气流动在她的血液里,融化在她的脑髓里,沉淀在她的骨髓里。
'Il faut que je l' essaie!' cried she, 'et e l' instant meme!'
‘我要试试!’她嚷道,‘现在!'
And she rushed out of the room.
于是她冲出了房间。