And, and I, there's so much, so many different things that went wrong
在我看来,过去十年中
with all the clean tech companies in the last decade.
很多清洁能源的公司就犯了各种各样的错误
But, but, one, one theme that ran through almost all of them,
但其中一个共同点就是
was that they all started with massive markets.
他们都进入了巨大的市场
And every clean tech PowerPoint presentation that one saw in the years 2005 to 2008,
从05至08年的宣讲材料可以看出硅谷中的一些
which was the clean tech bubble in Silicon Valley.
做清洁能源的公司处在美丽泡沫中
Started with, we're in the energy market,
开始他们认为自己身处的能源市场
we're in a market that's measured in hundreds of billions of trillions of dollars.
市场的价值高达万亿美元
And then once you're a minnow in a vast ocean.
但你只是沧海一粟
That's not a good place to be.
这样的处境并不好
That means that you have tons of competitors and you don't even know who all the competitors are.
这意味着你的竞争者非常多,你甚至都不能把它们一一了解清楚
And so you want to be a one of a kind company, where it's the only one in a small ecosystem.
因此你需要创立一个在小的市场中独一无二的公司
You don't want to be the fourth online pet food company.
你肯定不想成为第四个线上宠物食品的公司
You don't want to be the tenth thin film solar panel company.
也不想成为第十个薄膜太阳能电池板的公司
You don't want to be the 100th restaurant in Palo Alto.
亦或是帕罗奥图的第一百家餐厅
Your restaurant industry is a trillion dollar industry,
餐饮业的价值非常巨大
so if you do a market size analysis you conclude restaurants are a fantastic business to go into,
如果你做一个市场规模的分析,可能会认为餐饮业是一个非常适合进入的领域
and it's often, large markets, large existing markets
但大的市场通常意味着
typically mean that you have tons of competition, very, very hard to differentiate.
市场中有无数的竞争者,很难脱颖而出
So the first very counterintuitive into a idea is to go after small markets,
因此,给大家的第一个反直觉的思想就是进入小市场
often markets that are so small people don't even notice them.
进入那些人们注意不到的小市场
They don't think that they make sense.
那些人们认为没意义的市场
That's where you got a foothold, and then if those markets are able to expand,
一旦有了一些根基,就可以不断进行扩张
you can scale into a big monopoly business.
进而形成垄断的企业