"Oh, I do want you to be happy," it began, with a yearning earnestness. "I do so want you to be good! Please, please be good and …"
“啊,我真希望你们幸福,”那声音又开始了,带着真心诚意的渴望,“我多么希望你们善良!我求你们,求你们善良而……”
Two minutes later the Voice and the soma vapour had produced their effect.
两分钟之后演说和唆麻雾气起了作用。
In tears, the Deltas were kissing and hugging one another–half a dozen twins at a time in a comprehensive embrace.
德尔塔们已经在泪流满面地互相亲吻拥抱——六七个多生子彼此理解地拥抱到了一起。
Even Helmholtz and the Savage were almost crying.
就连赫姆霍尔兹和野蛮人也差不多要流泪了。
A fresh supply of pill-boxes was brought in from the Bursary;
从会计室又领来了新的唆麻盒,很快分发出来。
a new distribution was hastily made and, to the sound of the Voice's ricuy affectionate, baritone valedictions, the twins dispersed, blubbering as though their hearts would break.
多生子们随着那深情厚意的男中音的告别词分散了。好像心都要碎了一样地哽咽着。
Good-bye, my dearest, dearest friends, Ford keep you!
再见了,我最最亲爱的朋友们,福帝保佑你们!
Good-bye, my dearest, dearest friends, Ford keep you. Good-bye my dearest, dearest …
再见吧,最最亲爱的朋友们,福帝保佑你们。再见了,我最最亲爱的朋友们……
When the last of the Deltas had gone the policeman switched off the current.
最后一个德尔塔走掉之后警察关掉了演说。
The angelic Voice fell silent.
那天使一样的声音停止了。
"Will you come quietly?" asked the Sergeant, "or must we anesthetize?" He pointed his water pistol menacingly.
“你们是不是不出声跟我们走,不出声?”警官问道,“要不要我们用麻醉枪!”他用他那枪威胁说。
"Oh, we'll come quietly," the Savage answered, dabbing alternately a cut lip, a scratched neck, and a bitten left hand.
“哦,我们不出声跟你走。”野蛮人回答,轻轻抚摩着打破的嘴唇、挫伤的脖子和咬伤的左手。
Still keeping his handkerchief to his bleeding nose Helmholtz nodded in confirmation.
赫姆霍尔兹拿手绢捂住流血的鼻子点头同意。
Awake and having recovered the use of his legs, Bernard had chosen this moment to move as inconspicuously as he could towards the door.
伯纳醒了过来,腿也管用了,想利用这个机会尽可能不惹人注意地从门口溜走。
"Hi, you there," called the Sergeant, and a swine-masked policeman hurried across the room and laid a hand on the young man's shoulder.
“晦,那位。”警官叫道,一个带猪鼻子面具的警察匆匆横过房间,一只手抓住了年轻人的肩膀。
Bernard turned with an expression of indignant innocence. Escaping?
伯纳一脸愤怒的无辜,转过身来。溜?
He hadn't dreamed of such a thing. "Though what on earth you want me for," he said to the Sergeant, "I really can't imagine."
他做梦也没有想过做这样的事。“不过,你们要我干什么?”他对警官说,“我真想象不出来。”
You're a friend of the prisoner's, aren't you?
你是被抓的人的朋友,对不对?
"Well …" said Bernard, and hesitated.
“晤……”伯纳说,他犹豫了。
No, he really couldn't deny it. "Why shouldn't I be?" he asked.
对,他的确无法否认,“我凭什么不能够跟他们做朋友?”他问。
"Come on then," said the Sergeant, and led the way towards the door and the waiting police car.
“那就来吧。”警官说,带路往门口和等在那儿的警车走去。